Wearable Art Fashion Show

Abington's Sculpture Students Put on a Fashion Show

• Members of Ms. Kenealy's Sculpture II and Sculpture Portfolio Classes put on a fashion show in the hallway outside the library on Monday, October 7, 2019.

Robert Tashjian

• Will Charbonnier, Maggie Mayer, Megan McCann, Brandi Rix, Anna Blyth, Anna Stark, Sydney Brundage, and Jackie Goduti from Ms. Kenealy's Sculpture Classes participated in a fashion show on Monday, October 7, 2019 using the hallway like a runway outside of the library.

• Students in Ms. Kenealy's Sculpture Portfolio Class created moveable pieces based on mythological creatures. The students held a fashion show on Monday, October 7, 2019 in the High School hallway outside of the library.

Robert Tashjian

• Senior Anna Blyth wearing her sculpture piece for the runway show students in Ms. Kenealy's sculpture classes held on Monday, October 7, 2019 at AHS.

Robert Tashjian

• Sydney Brundage, a sophomore and member of Ms. Kenealy's sculpture class modeling her wearable are on Monday, October 7, 2019.

Robert Tashjian

• Meghan McCann, a sophomore at AHS, with her wearable sculpture she wore on Monday, October 7, 2019 during the fashion show held period 7.

Robert Tashjian

• Nick Bevilacqua, a student at AHS, with his wearable sculpture he modeled during Monday, October 7, 2019 fashion show at the high school.

Robert Tashjian

• Brandi Rix, a sophomore at AHS, participated in the fashion show Ms. Kenealy's sculpture students put on outside the library at the high school on Monday, October 7, 2019.

Robert Tashjian

• Senior Seanna Phillips models her wearable sculpture which she work for the fashion show held on Monday, October 7, 2019 outside of the library at the high school.

Robert Tashjian

• Marguerite "Maggie" Mayer-Eirnstein, a senior at AHS, with her wearable art. Mayer participated in the fashion show on Monday, October 7, 2019 at the high school during period 7 outside of the library.

Robert Tashjian

• Arlene Perez, a senior at AHS, participated in the fashion show on Monday, October 7, 2019 at AHS.

Robert Tashjian

Robert Tashjian, Contributor

On Monday, October 7, Ms. Kenealy’s Sculpture II and Portfolio class had a Project Runway at Abington High School. Twelve students participated in the show. Seniors Talita Smith, Allison Clark, and Linda Daye came as spectators.

Dr. Gonsalves of the English Department was also at the show. She said, “Each sculpture— wings, masks, collar— transported me to an ancient time, giving color and life to mythic figures. Each student walked slowly and solemnly, with a  dignity that seemed to come from long ago.”

One of the participants in the fashion show, Arlene Perez, a senior at Abington High School said, “It was an opportunity to get creative and test our artistic abilities and our imagination to create a piece of art that represents who we are.”

It was an opportunity to get creative and test our artistic abilities and our imagination to create a piece of art that represents who we are.”

— Arlene Perez

Students in Ms. Kenealy’s class were assigned to pick a creature from Mythology. With that creature in mind, students had to make a wearable sculpture. They got to pick what materials they wanted to work with. The results varied from student to student.

“Some materials that the students used were plaster, paper products, paper machete, modeling clay, and paint. The project is designed to show where students can make decisions on their own, to figure out how large they want it and how they want to build it,” said Ms. Kenealy, adding that “it is a self-driven project.”

A lot goes into these projects. Ms. Kenealy said they sculptures take about a month to complete, from the beginning of school until the day of what she calls “Project Runway” alluding to the TV show. Ms. Kenealy said that, “Grading parameters are different based upon the class that they are in. Portfolio students must have a movable piece in their project.”

If you want to see some of the work, check out the second floor art room display in the hallway near the library.

(updated to reflect an additional quote at 5:08 PM)