Last Day of High School for the Class of 2019

Seniors prepare to exit

Seniors Kyle Neilan and Carly Goldberg celebrate their last day as students at Abington High School, May 23, 2019.

Staff, Staff Writer

May 23 was the last day of classes for the seniors at Abington High School. Over a dozen members of the Class of 2019 arrived on bicycles, roller blades, or skateboards. They gathered in the student parking lot for an hour to decorate the cars their peers drove. Under a windy sky, music flowed from open doors and windows as students worked together to get their cars decorated.

For the first time, many cars were decorated with the names of the colleges that students will be attending, such as Dartmouth, Fordham, Northeastern, UNH, UMaine, St. Anselm, Curry, Suffolk, Colby Sawyer, Simmons, MCPHS, FSU, Massasoit, and more. Most in this graduating class are pursuing an advance degree at a college within New England.

After car decorating, students returned indoors for a final meal together. They were treated to a senior breakfast put on by their parents. Students also received their yearbooks from the yearbook advisor Mrs. McHugh and then gathered to watch the senior slide show.

Patricia Pflaumer

Overseeing all the events were Ms. Howell and Ms. Daisy. Ms. Howell, a business teacher at AHS, has been the Class of 2019’s advisor since the students were freshmen. The students headed out of school for the last time, parading their cars around the school at 11:15 AM while some underclassmen gathered on the grass or in windows to watch the show in the school parking lot.

In the evening there will be a senior receiving line, a tradition at Abington High School, at the Abington High School main entrance portico (weather permitting; otherwise, Middle School cafeteria) from 4:30 to 5:15 PM. Seniors will then attend their formal senior reception at the Canoe Club in West Bridgewater. The Class of 2019 graduation ceremony will take place on June 1 at 10 AM.

Best wishes seniors! Be well, do good work, and remember your roots.