Exploring Their Options

Students Invited to AHS’s First Club Fair

Kristen Barbara White, a junior, and Brian Tolan, a sophomore, who are the co-presidents of the Gaming Club are teaching the rules of Magic, the Gathering” to Mrs. Kalmanov while the two advisers of the club, Mr. Cutter (seated) and Mr. Scott (standing) supervise at the Club Fair held Tuesday, Feb. 5 at Abington High School’s Library and Media Center

Leticia Meneghetti, Staff Writer

On Tuesday, Feb. 5, Abington High School held its first club fair in the Library Media Center. The fair happened during period five. Many of the school’s clubs were able to present themselves and their clubs to the students and staff that attended the event. The main purpose of this club fair was to expose students to a variety of clubs that are in our school so that interested students could join them.

The fair was the idea of and sponsored by the Anti-Bullying Club (ABC) and the Library-Media Specialist Mrs. Milloshi. They worked together to promote this club fair, with the goal “to spread awareness, increase student involvement, and solicit input from students about new club suggestions,” Mrs. Milloshi said. Students had the opportunity to sign up in order to become more involved at AHS through student clubs.

I am very satisfied with the outcome.

— Mr. Lanner

Many came to or participated in the fair. Some of the guests joined clubs that day, while others were just walking around getting information. Mr. Lanner, the adviser of ABC, said “I am very satisfied with the outcome.” However, school attendance that day was low, as 40% of the student body was out. Mr. Lanner said he “did not expect 60-degree weather and the Patriots parade to happen on the same day” as the club fair.

The goal that ABC had set, which was to have an awareness event that showed the people in school all the clubs available, was met. With so much diversity in the clubs offered at the high school, it seems anyone could find a group that they would feel comfortable joining.

If anyone missed the Monday’s Club Fair, feel free to reach out to students who are members of the clubs or contact the advisers. Some of the clubs that were present: