Club News: Peer Leaders Read for Our Vets

Peer Leaders Continue to Do Good Work in the School and Community

Abington+High+School+Peer+Leader+Members+pose+for+a+group+photo+after+school+in+the+Middle+School+cafeteria+in+February+of+2018.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Abington High School Peer Leader Members pose for a group photo after school in the Middle School cafeteria in February of 2018.

Abby Joyce

Abby Joyce

Abby Joyce

Abby Joyce, Staff Writer

During the month of January, Abington High School Peer Leaders organized a Read for Our Vets Program. The Read for Vets Program was sponsored by Roger Woods of Old Town Real Estate.

This fundraiser donates money to the Massachusetts Soldiers’ Home Organization, located in Chelsea and Holyoke, and encourages students to read.

AHS Peer Leaders were each responsible for sharing a pledge sheet where students (age 5-18), family members, peers, or AHS faculty would pledge to read one book. Each member of Peer Leaders had to receive five pledges.

Mr. Siegel, teacher at AHS and organizer of Peer Leaders, hoped to raise “about one dollar for each book pledged to be read” with a goal “to get students to pledge to read 200 books.”

Through the hard work of the Peer Leaders, Mr. Siegel, their sponsor Roger Woods, and the readers, the Peer Leaders were able to reach their goal and receive 203 pledges, meaning the Soldiers’ Home would be receiving a donation of $200.

Now, the Peer Leaders is accepting pajama donations for Cradles to Crayons, a program to help children in need. For more info on Peer Leaders, check out the school website http://abingtonps.org/schools/peer_leaders.php

About the Writer
Abby Joyce, Social Media Editor

Abby is a member of the class of 2021. This is her second year as a staff member of the Green Wave Gazette.  Formerly a staff reporter, she was elected...