Preview: You Can’t Take It With You

A Pulitzer Prize Winning Play Performed in Abington

Mr. Shannon, used with permission

The Cast of You Can’t Take It with You

Yani Soares, Staff Writer

With tryouts completed and rehearsals begun, the play You Can’t Take It With You, produced by Abington High School music teacher Steve Shannon and directed by Massasoit Community College drama teacher Corinne Mason, will be performed by the Abington High School Drama Club on March 15 and 16 at 7:30 PM.

The play was originally written by Moss Hart and George S. Kaufman and first performed on Broadway on December 14, 1936. It won a Pulitzer.

You Can’t Take It With You will be the second drama production performed in Abington’s newly constructed middle-high school auditorium. This play follows the successful fall performance of the musical Oliver!, which featured students from both the middle and high schools.

Pullquote Photo

I think it’s a really funny play that is as timely today as it was when it was first presented in the 1930s

— Mr. Steve Shannon

This comedic play about family has provided a large range of eccentric roles for members of the Drama Club.

In this play, Alice, played by Madisen Caferro (’19) descends from the characteristically odd family of the Sycamores, including the father of the family, Paul, played by Xavier Curney (’18) and Alice’s mother Penny, played by Abby Maynard (’19). Living as part of a contrarily uptight family is Tony Kirby, played by Jason Kinniburgh (’19).

Are you a fan of drama?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The story of this play takes place entirely in the home of Penny’s father Martin Vanderhof, played by Dylan Gately (’18), and spans over the course of multiple days. The plot revolves around the romance between Alice and Tony, as well as the tensions that arise from the first meeting of the families.

When asked about his opinions on this play, Mr. Shannon said he looks forward to seeing the students perform. “I think it’s a really funny play that is as timely today as it was when it was first presented in the 1930s,” said Mr. Shannon. “I hope everyone will come and see it.”

Ticket information:

www.steveshannon0.wixsite.com/ahsdrama