Why I Started Voting

Democracy should not be taken for granted

James Mulkern

Abington High School senior James Mulkern holding his first “I Voted” sticker outside his local polling station on Tuesday, November 3, 2020.

James Mulkern, Staff Writer

This year, as I’ve been transitioning into adulthood, I started introducing myself to the chaotic world of American politics.

This morning on Election Day 2020, after weeks of news research, I voiced my feelings to the local and national community by voting for the very first time.

The process itself was quick and painless, yet receiving that prized “I Voted” sticker felt like a rite of passage that initiated my membership in the wider American community.

My interest in voting has much to do with my desire to make the most of my U.S. citizenship; I’m acting with the future of the nation in mind. Even if my singular vote does very little to turn the tides of the election, my presence in the polls shows that I’m not turning a blind eye to the issues disrupting the quality of life in America.

Silence and apathy will not benefit anyone.

I’m especially thankful that I started voting as an 18-year-old, and plenty of other young adults in the Generation Z demographic are getting the same valuable privilege this year.

Our generation has a unique voice. And we will be setting out to build our own livelihoods in the following years. Now we are learning how to become active and ground-breaking members of our communities.

By choosing to vote, we can ensure that America truly reflects its population’s interests and needs. As a member of GenZ, I did not want to waste this crucial chance.