Boy’s Hockey Update

Team takes on challenges

Bill Marquardt, with Permission

Bill Marquardt, with Permission

Tommy Boyle, Contributor

Bill Marquardt, with Permission

Senior Captain Brian Cashman

The Abington High School hockey team lost to Whitman-Hanson this past Saturday, January 13, at the Rockland Ice Rink. 

The hockey team’s current record is 3-5-3. They need twenty points to make the playoffs and are currently sitting at nine points. Eleven games into the season, the team has nine more games to finish with twenty points and make the playoffs. 

I believe our team is hardworking and willing to do whatever it takes to win”

— John Polito

Speaking with freshman first line center John Polito about the adversity the team has faced this year, Polito said the team has “been through some ups and downs this year, but we have had great leadership, starting with our captains Brian Cashman, John Quinn, and Joe Maly.” Cashman and Quinn, both forwards, as well as goalie Maly, are seniors. 

Polito credits the captains with helping the team “get through the rough times, such as tough losses and injuries.”

The team faced the loss of Quinn for four games and Polito himself was out for three weeks with a broken wrist.  He said that the team “rallied through these obstacles and has proven to be a strong team.” 

When asked if he was nervous coming into his freshman year, Polito said “to be honest with you, I was at first. But Coaches Smith, Buddon, and Hingston, and the upperclassmen made me comfortable.” 

Polito also said “I believe our team is hardworking and willing to do whatever it takes to win. We have shown heart and grit, and we have to keep the intensity moving forward to the second half of the season.” 

Regarding his thoughts on the playoffs, Polito said that he “didn’t want to jinx anything.” That’s the attitude that the whole team has had this year. They will do whatever it takes to win. 

If the team wants to make the playoffs this year, they are going to have to step up their play. The team got nine points in the first eleven games, and now needs to get eleven more in their last nine. 

Be sure to come root them on at the Rockland Ice Rink.