The 1,000 Club Has a New Member

Senior Matt Maguire makes Abington history

Bill Marquardt, with permission

Abington High School senior Matt Maguire at the 2020 Andrew James Lawson Foundation Invitational held at TD Garden, Saturday, January 25, 2020.

Mark Cashman, Contributor

On Apr. 11, 2018, The Green Wave Gazette published “Potential to be an All-Star,” about a then up-and-coming freshman basketball player named Matt Maguire. Now as a senior, Maguire has achieved the milestone of scoring 1,000 points.

Pullquote Photo

I was just grateful to have the opportunity to play.

— Matt Maguire

On Saturday, Jan. 9, Maguire entered the game against East Bridgewater just shy of 1,000, after having scored 22 points the day prior against Carver.

In Saturday’s game, in which Abington defeated East Bridgewater with a score of 79-48. Maguire scored 29 points, propelling him to reach his 1,000-point mark.

Notching 1,000 points, Maguire is now the fifth player in Abington Boys Basketball history to do so. Maguire joins the likes of Bryson Andrews ’19, Ryan Chambers ’10, Kristian LaPointe ’10, and Billy Carey ’05.

Maguire was keen on reaching this goal and set out to fulfill it at the start of his career. When asked whether he believed he would score one thousand points, Maguire said, “It was always a goal of mine.”

Due to Covid, the were no fans in attendance at Saturday’s game to see Maguire score his 1,000 point. That did not matter much to him. “I was just grateful to have the opportunity to play,” Maguire said.

Last spring the team’s win over Snowden at TD Garden sent them to the state championship to play Hopedale.  Two days before the game on March 12 the season ended abruptly due to COVID-19. When asked how he felt about the cancellation of the season and game, Maguire said, “I was very much looking forward to the game and I was disappointed that it had to be cancelled.”

Even though the game was cancelled, Abington and Hopedale took the title of co-state champions, with everyone getting the ring that they all worked so hard to achieve.

As the end of Maguire’s senior year slowly approaches, his future looks bright. He will be attending Worcester Polytechnic Institute to continue playing basketball at the collegiate level.

Abington Cable will be broadcasting all games live this season. (Abington CAM, public service announcement)