High School Danger Zone: Finding the Right Seat in the Cafeteria

AHS Students enjoying their table in the cafeteria

Staff

Everyone knows that where you sit in the cafeteria says a lot about who you are in high school. No one knows who made this rule. But if you look, you’ll find the jocks in the back right corner, the cheerleaders front and center, the nerds off to the side and the alternatives sprinkled around back. The freshmen have the last choice of seats; that’s just the way it is. Each year as you move up a grade, you and your classmates get to choose a better the seat.

Each year as you move up a grade, you and your classmates get to choose a better the seat.

— Amanda Doherty

It’s tough the first day when you walk in with your best clothes and hope you will find a seat with a satisfying group of people that will represent who you are and not judge how much food you eat. Here are a few tips to help deal with this fear inducing event:

1. Talk to a friend during a period before lunch. Ask if they would like to sit with you; chances are they probably will. When you walk into the cafeteria you are  guaranteed at least one friend at your table.Celebrity Dresses Sale
    Also, when you face the challenge together it’s not as bad.
  2. If you brave it alone, try to spot a friend. Hopefully, they will let you sit with them, and it never hurts to ask.
  3. If you don’t have any friends at your lunch, look around the cafeteria and check for signs of people who have the same fashion sense as you. Someone who you could relate to over some topic. Walk over and politely ask to sit down.
  4. If you see a table you like, but there aren’t any spots left, don’t be afraid to pull up a chair from another table. Hopefully, people will make room for you instead of making you sit alone.

Those are just a few tips and tactics I have accumulated over the last three years; maybe they will help. Either way, get out there and sit down because really all you have is 19 minutes to scarf down your food or finish that last page of homework.