Baseball Begins

Abington Baseball Off to a Great Start

Bill Marquardt, with permission

Abington junior Captain Sean Landers up at bat in a game against Atlantis Charter during the second game of the regular season, April 2019

Jack Clifford, Staff Writer

Abington Baseball has won their first three games of the regular season against Cohasset (5-1), Atlantis Charter (16-3), Hull (17-3), and Norwell (2-1).  The Green Wave is coming off a strong year last year with a record of 9-11, falling one win short of making the SSL tournament.

Pullquote Photo

I’m happy to have Christian [Labossier] and Sean [Landers] by my side.

— Ryan Doherty

This year’s team has a number of superstars. One outstanding player who also won Player of the Week for South Shore League baseball is sophomore phenom Aaron Siegal, with his great performance going 4-4 with 4 RBI’s in a 5-1 win on April 4 over Cohasset.

Siegal plays third base and pitches for Abington. Siegal He appreciates his teammates. “I believe that we have an extremely talented and hard working team this year and it is a great atmosphere around all the guys. I believe that we can make a run for a state championship this year also,” Siegal said.

Another powerful baseball player and one of the three captains of the Abington Baseball team is senior Ryan Doherty, who plays second base. He takes his role seriously and wants to show his ability to be a leader of the team. “As a leader it really helps put accountability on me, and helps me strive to be productive toward helping our team win,” Doherty said.

There are another two captains: senior Christian Labossier and junior Sean Landers. Labossier plays catcher and Landers plays left field. Doherty said, “I’m happy to have Christian [Labossier] and Sean [Landers] by my side.”

The second baseman has high hopes for the season. “My expectations are very high this year, as we went 9-11 last year and only lost one player. I expect to make tourney; hopefully, some other things will fall in place,” he said.

Abington’s next home game will be played on Tuesday, April 16 at home against Charlestown, which is during April vacation. Fans can come support the team’s journey towards success and be a part of their season.