Student Spotlight on Senior Bryson Andrews

All-time Leading Scorer in Boys Basketball

Bryson Andrews scored 32 points in the last game of his Abington High School career at WPI’s Harrington Auditorium on March 16, 2019.

Bill Marquardt, with permission

Jack Clifford, Staff Writer

Bryson Andrews, Abington High School’s Senior Captain of the Green Wave Basketball Team, came off an incredible season. Entering the Abington Public Schools as a freshman, Andrews will leave having made a mark.

Beginning Career

Looking back on when he was a freshman, Andrews said, “I was a silent kid and didn’t know anyone.” He transferred from Trinity Catholic Academy to Plouffe Academy, both in Brockton, and then came to Abington when he was a freshman. “I was a quite kid. I knew literally nobody. You can ask all my friends. I didn’t talk much as a freshman,” Andrews said.

Pullquote Photo

Through football and basketball I got to know more of the guys and they got me talking and feeling more comfortable.

— Bryson Andrews

Sports played a big role in helping Andrews get over his quiet nature and gain confidence. “Through football and basketball I got to know more of the guys and they got me talking and feeling more comfortable.”

Andrews added that “it helps that it’s [Abington’s] a small town and small school, so literally everyone knows each other. As the days went on I got more comfortable with my voice and other people.” As he felt more comfortable with coaches and teachers, “every year I got louder. I became a very vocal person.”

On and Off the Court

Andrews became the all-time leading scorer for the boys hoops at the Abington High School. In addition to having his name hanging on the banner for scoring over 1,000 points in boys basketball, Andrews also won an All Scholastic All Star award and was awarded as the South Shore player of the year. In addition to his time on the basketball court, Andrews enjoys school and being with his friends and his teachers.

Off the court, Andrews enjoys spending time with his family and especially his mom. “My mother is everything to me. The reason why I have opportunities in life is because of God and her,” Andrews said. “She will do anything for me. She has broken her back for me. And me doing good at school and ball is a way to pay her back. I owe it all to her.”

The Future

After graduating from Abington High School this June, Andrews will continue his academic and athletic career at Bridgton Academy in Maine. Andrews is looking forward to college and continuing his basketball legacy. “It’s an experience I’m never gonna forget and one I can’t wait to tackle,” he said.

He said that going to college is “an opportunity that was given to me and I won’t take it for granted.” He also looks forward to an athletic career there and said, “I just can’t wait to get back on that court again.”

Andrews said it is his dream to have the “option of possibility of play in the NBA.” He added, too, that “my dream goal is to play overseas.”

However, Andrews recognizes those are all a ways off. He said, “But I’m just focused on Bridgton right now.” He wants to “continue to put 100 percent effort” into his work both on and off the court “at all times” and he is ready to see what the future holds.

It has been exciting watching Andrews evolve. We wish him all the best in his future.