The Green Wave Surges Forward

Boys Basketball Moves onward to the D4 South Finals

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Green Wave Surges Forward

Abington junior Cam Curney and Bishop Connoly high scorer Cooper Creek wrestle for the ball during the South Sectional Semifinal game held on Wednesday, March 6, 2019 in Taunton. The Wave was victorious and moves on to play Cohasset in the D4 South Finals

Bill Marquardt, with permission

Bill Marquardt, with permission

Bill Marquardt, with permission

Jack Clifford, Contributor

On Wednesday March 5, the Abington Green Wave Boys Basketball team headed down to Taunton to play Bishop Connolly ‪at 8:00 PM in the semi-finals. The Green Wave sought to continue their run in securing a spot for the next round of the playoffs, which they did with a 68-53 win over Bishop Connolly.

The Abington Green Wave Boosters, run by Steve Maguire, funded a fan bus so that interested students didn’t have to drive down to Taunton to catch the game. The bus was free of charge and the fans loved that. Junior Jessica Rix said the Fan bus “was a good idea because it provided transportation for kids that probably wouldn’t have been able to come out, so we got a good amount of people there.”

Some key players were senior Captain Bryson Andrews who played a dominant game with 29 points and 10 rebounds; sophomore Matty Maguire with 20 points and 16 rebounds; and junior Colby Augusta with 7 points and 11 rebounds. Maguire said the game “was a hard fought game and we’re all happy about the win. It was a great atmosphere to play in and getting the win made it even better.”

During the game, when junior Cam Curney and senior Captain Bryson Andrews had monstrous dunks, the Green Wave Fan Section went crazy.  Adrian Mendez, senior Captain of the Fan Squad,  said that “when Bryson and Cam dunk, I went crazy and I couldn’t stay in my seat, that was crazy!”

Junior Captain Will Klein was very upset that he couldn’t participate in the game due to illness. “I’ve been sick the past three days. I was feeling terrible, but obviously I wanted to be out there playing like always. The team did absolutely excellent without me, as expected. We have a team that’s 8-9 guys deep, always ready to contribute, which makes us so good.”

Sophomore Matty Maguire said, “It was a hard fought game and we’re all happy about the win. It was a great atmosphere to play in and getting the win made it even better.”

Come support the Green Wave Boys Basketball team on Saturday, March 9, when they play Cohasset at Taunton High School in the MIAA D4 South Final at 6:45 PM.

About the Writer
Jack Clifford, Staff Writer

Jack is a member of the class of 2021. He joined the Green Wave Gazette during his sophomore year. He enjoys playing sports such as football and baseball,...