See No Evil

Netflix movie creates a dangerous trend

Back to Article
Back to Article

See No Evil

Following the release of the Netflix horror film BIRD BOX, starring Academy Award winner Sandra Bullock and an all-star cast, viewers engaged in a

Following the release of the Netflix horror film BIRD BOX, starring Academy Award winner Sandra Bullock and an all-star cast, viewers engaged in a "Blindfold Challenge," leading Netflix to issue a warning, asking fans to stop engaging in this dangerous act immediately.

Netflix movie poster, fair use

Netflix movie poster, fair use

Netflix movie poster, fair use

Alison Santosuosso, Staff Writer

The newly released Netflix post-apocalyptic movie “Bird Box” has caused a lot of hype. The thriller, based on the novel by Josh Malerman, stars Sandra Bullock as the main character Malorie and two four-year-old children, Boy and Girl, played by Julian Edwards and Vivien Lyra Blair. In this movie, Malorie and her two children have to complete a trip blindfolded, covering their eyes from an evil entity that chases them.

Have you watched Bird Box?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Although the movie has created a lot of hype, it also has resulted in some chaos. For instance, the movie has caused people on social media to participate in crazy “Bird Box Challenges.” The challenges may be funny at first. These challenges include blindfolding yourself to do nonthreatening, everyday tasks.

But, the Challenge has also put people in dangerous situations, such as driving and crossing the street blindfolded. Even Netflix put out a Tweet on Jan. 2 that in part says, “PLEASE DO NOT HURT YOURSELF WITH THIS BIRD BOX CHALLENGE.”

Although the movie itself is just a movie, social media can bring it to new heights. It can create a domino effect, where one person does something and then others feel they need to do it. Some people haven’t even watched the movie, but are following a trend. YouTubers have posted videos of themselves participating in a 24 hour Bird Box Challenge.

Also, there have been many memes that have spread across social media. One is titled “see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil” with pictures of the movies “Bird Box” (can’t see), “Hush” (can’t hear), and “A Quiet Place” (can’t speak). As for memes, well, they’re memes.

Social media seems to create a hierarchy, and people will often do whatever it takes to get more views or promote themselves to get “higher up” the ladder regarding their popularity. Is it really worth it? Is a silly social media challenge worth hurting yourself or others?

About the Writer
Alison Santosuosso, Digital Team

Alison is a member of the class of 2021. She joined the Green Wave Gazette her freshman year as a staff writer. That year, Alison's writing focused mainly...