Movie Review: Black Panther

What’s worth more: loyalty or righteousness?

Black Panther Cast

Media Release Marvel Cinematic Universe

Black Panther Cast

Matt Lyons, Contributor

When was the last time you couldn’t see a movie? Well, the last and only time that happened to me was when I recently went to see “Black Panther.” There were five showings and all shows were completely sold out. When I first saw the line exceeded past the building’s doors, I realized that this movie was something special.

“Black Panther” is the next installment in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It is about a prince named T’Challa who is played by Chadwick Boseman. T’Challa returns to his home country, Wakanda, after the death of his father.  He is called the Black Panther, a generational title given to the protector of Wakanda.

T’Challa is strong and fearless. He helps the world when a powerful enemy arises.  He is also kind-hearted. T’Challa tries to please everyone by trying to do what’s right for his country and its people.He struggles with protecting his country as king, and he makes several hard choices throughout the film.

The movie is full of compelling characters, including Nakia (Lupita Nyong’o), T’Challa’s sister, who also designs T’Challa’s suits and weapons. There is also Okoye (Danai Gurira), the leader of Wakanda’s army. And Klaw (Andy Serkis), a long rival of Wakanda. Each character is fully developed and given equal screen time.

I expected the same quality that Marvel usually produces, but this movie was different from other movies in the franchise. ”

— Matt Lyons

Killmonger (Michael B. Jordan) is the antagonist. The main antagonist has clear motivations, and he makes the audience care and understand his actions through his angry portrayal. His character is a great foil to Boseman’s T’Challa by challenging T’Challa both physically and mentally.

A favorite character in the movie was Okoye. Danai Gurira perfectly portrayed the leader of Wakanda’s army. Throughout the movie, she helps T’Challa by giving him advice and commanding her army to protect him. She stole every scene, showing heart and fearlessness, whether she was commanding her army to fight Killmonger’s henchmen or talking with T’Challa.

Overall this movie exceeded my expectations. I expected the same quality that Marvel usually produces, but this movie was different from other movies in the franchise. Much like Christopher Nolans’ critically acclaimed “The Dark Knight” (my favorite movie of all time), “Black Panther” spent more time on character development rather than action-packed fight scenes. And that’s a big part of why this movie works. You care about each character and understand their actions.

I would give this movie five out of five stars. It is no wonder that it has been reported by Screen Rant, the online entertainment website, that the movie “Black Panther” has broken many records, including being the “highest rated superhero movie” and the “biggest February opening weekend record,” as well as the “biggest opening for an African-American director.”

If you haven’t already seen Black Panther, you should. Not only because it’s historic, but because it is more than a superhero movie…it is just a great film.

What do you think about the movie Black Panther?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...