Varsity Basketball Tournament Game 

Girls Green Wave Basketball Falls to Fontbonne

Elizabeth Roy, Contributor

In last night’s tournament game, the Abington Varsity Girls Basketball team headed to Xaverian High School in Westwood to play against Fontbonne Academy, a private school located in Milton.  Both Abington and Fontbonne had very close scores, keeping the fans excited and eager to know who would win. 

The Green Wave team fought hard throughout the entire game, trying their best to win.  Unfortunately, the final score of the game was Fontbonne over Abington 52-44.  

Pullquote Photo

We are still a competitive team by making tournament and fighting for the league title.

— Maddie O'Connell

Although the girls lost and the season has ended for Abington, Maddie O’Connell (’19) said “looking back, I am extremely proud of my team this season.”

Coach Dan Norton recognized Kristyanna Remillard (’19), who was the player that made the most foul shots and Courtney McCabe (’18), who made the most 3 pointers over the course of the season.

Some players that have earned titles this season include Maddie O’Connell, Maureen Stanton (’19), and Lauren Keleher (’20) who were named All Stars.

This is the second year that O’Connell has been named South Shore League (SSL) All Star. When asked how that felt, she said, “I feel honored to be named back to back All Star because everyone on the team works hard in their own way and deserves this title. I am grateful to be recognized two years in a row.”

O’Connell stated that “We are still a competitive team by making tournament and fighting for the league title.”    

Reflecting on the season, O’Connell stated that “being a part of this team has been such a great experience. Everyone works so hard and we have grown so much since the beginning on the season.”  

This article was updated on March 2, 2018 at 6 AM to include the awards that these athletes took this year.