Katie Donovan is Ready to Play

This spring and next year too

Katie+Donovan

GWG

Katie Donovan

Senior Katie Donovan is focused on the present, but has her eyes on the future. The two time Enterprise All Scholastic and South Shore League all-star is headed to Saint Peter’s University in New Jersey this fall, where she was recruited to play softball in their Division I program. But, right now, she has high hopes for her final season with the Green Wave.

I am so excited for it to be my turn.

— Katie Donovan

Donovan fell in love with the sport when she started playing at a very young age. She played on her first club team in seventh grade, and joined a college showcase team soon after. Her dad saw great potential in her; he knew she would go on to play in college.With a substantial amount of support from him, Carol Savino (her Mass Drifters coach) and Ernie Ortega (her high school coach), she had an extremely successful sophomore year, earning the Triple Crown Award from the South Shore League (most runs batted in, highest batting average and most home runs), the team’s most valuable player, as well as being named an all-scholastic and South Shore League All-Star.

Donovan is an all around player that can play anywhere in the field, but when she plays shortstop, she is in charge. She’s seems to love everything about the sport. “I’m definitely a better fielder than hitter, but there is nothing like making good contact with the ball and then running the bases; it’s like an adrenaline rush. But, then again, a really good play on the field is too,” said Donovan unable to fully make up her mind on the most satisfying aspect of playing the game.

Last year, the Green Wave girls tied with East Bridgewater for the South Shore League title, but lost to Bishop Stang in the first round of the MIAA Division II South Tournament. For the 2016 season, Donovan has high expectations. She hopes to help the team win the league title and do better in the tournament. “We have really come back (stronger). We are a lot more focused. We are working a lot harder, and I think this year is going to be extremely different. I think we are going to do so well,” said Donovan.  She is proud to take on a leadership role as a captain and enjoys giving the younger players advice. While in college, she is going to miss her team and the memories that they made together during bus rides and at practices.

Aside from softball and school, Donovan likes to train and stay in peak condition. “I work out with a personal trainer so I can be the best I can be on the field, but it is also my number one stress reliever,” said Donovan. She also loves the beach, listening to music and spending time with her dad who pushes her and supports her like no other. “We are honestly best friends,” said Donovan.

When asked what advice she would give to younger students after spending four years in high school, she stresses how important grades are, as well as being a respectable person. She thinks some of them could move on and play sports at the college level after their high school days are done. “We have some really good athletes at this school. I think a lot of (them) could play in college,” said Donovan.

At Saint Peter’s, Donovan plans to do well in both academics and softball. After studying to major in biology at Saint Peter’s, she plans to attend Rutgers University (New Brunswick, NJ) to earn her PhD for physical therapy. As for softball, Donovan has exceeded her expectations in high school and desires to do the same in college. She plans to strive to become a remarkable rookie and work her way up to become a captain her senior year, along with helping the team win their conference. She is very excited to start her college career. “This is what everything has built up to for me. I am so excited for it to be my turn, be a part of the team, and know  I am playing such good softball with such great athletes. It’s going to be amazing.”

This year’s Green Wave Softball Roster:

Seniors: Katie Donovan, Colleen Kearns and Hanna Rogers

Juniors: Selina Chavarria Lemus, Ashli Roberts and Morgan Sweeney

Sophomores: Maggie Becker, Molly Glynn, Jenna McDonough, Caitlin Murphy, Kayla O’Brien and Tori Young

Freshmen: Criselda Burke, Emily Duchaney, Lauren Nelligan and Casey Strobel

Coach: Ernie Ortega