Katie Donovan Signs Letter of Intent

She will attend St. Peter’s University in New Jersey

Staff

Katie Donovan signs her letter of intent to St. Paul’s University with Abington coach Ernie Ortega to her right and her father John Donovan to her left.

Brianna Medeiros, Staff Writer

On Friday, November 13, Katie Donovan (AHS Class of 2016) signed a letter of intent to attend and play Division I softball (infield) at St. Peter’s University in Jersey City, NJ (Peacocks). Donovan said there were many reasons for choosing St. Peter’s. In addition to offering her a scholarship, she loves the location (close to New York City), the physical therapy program and her new coach Ken Passante (third year as head coach).

At a ceremony hosted by Abington High School athletic drector Peter Serino, held in the lobby of the Richard F. Morey Gymnasium, Donovan was flanked by her father, John Donovan, and her high school coach, Ernie Ortega as she signed her letter of intent.  “I am so thankful for my coaches and my Dad. My coach Carol Savino (Mass Drifters Softball Program) has greatly impacted the player and person that I am today,” said Donovan. “She couldn’t have done it without everybody’s help,” said her father.

Coach Ortega mentioned some of Donovan’s accomplishments thus far (she still has one season left), including being a two time South Shore League All-Star and a two-time Enterprise All-Scholastic. “I am very honored to be here today and honored to have had the privilege of coaching her. We’re looking for great things from her in the future, and I look forward to seeing her play at St. Peter’s,” said Ortega.