Winter Athlete Spotlights: Week Four

Two AHS Basketball Players Stand Out on the Court

Senior Girls Basketball player Elizabeth Roy is highlighted as a Winter Sports Athlete of the Week.

Abington High School’s Student Athletic Advisory Committee(SAAC) has decided to honor two winter athletes during each week of the 2020-2021 winter season. SAAC will recognize one male and one female athlete per week, from the Girls Basketball, Boys Basketball, and Hockey teams. Highlighted on the fourth week of these spotlights are Elizabeth Roy and Tommy Fanara.

Elizabeth Roy

Senior Elizabeth Roy from the Girls Varsity Basketball team is the female athlete of the week. Elizabeth has been participating in the sport for over ten years, throughout middle school and now high school. In her 11th year playing the sport, Roy said her favorite memory is “celebrating with the team after [they] won the game v.s. East Bridgewater in the State Tournament my sophomore year.” In addition to playing the position of shooting guard, she also participates in track and soccer. Her favorite subject in school is Biology because she is preparing to major in Nursing to be a pediatric nurse in Boston. Her favorite teacher is Mr. DiPrizio because she said his class is “fun and interactive.” She chose to play basketball because she always wanted to be a part of a team, and it served her well. All of her favorite memories from high school took place while playing sports with all of her teammates. Roy said she “would like to thank my family, coaches, and all my teammates for pushing me to be the best athlete I can be and showing me what I am capable of.”

Tommy Fanara

Our male athlete of the week is the junior captain of the Boys Varsity Basketball team Tommy Fanara. Fanara, who wears jersey number three, is a point guard who has been playing basketball since first grade. He said that the “ball just got in my hand one day and I couldn’t put it down from there on.” He was named captain as a junior, and that in itself is a very great accomplishment. It is very rare to see a junior captain; they must earn respect from both underclassmen and upperclassmen. When asked about his favorite memories as a basketball player, Fanara highlighted the team’s victory against Rockland in the Shawn P. Cotter Tournament. It was a must-win game for the varsity team and it locked in a second home tournament game. The game was played in front of the home crowd, and because the Abington-Rockland rivalry is so strong, the gym was packed. Fanara started for both the State Champion Basketball team and the State Champion Football team, building an unbreakable bond with his teammates. His favorite teacher is Mr. Kitterick because of his stories, while his favorite class is history with Mr. Scott, who makes the class fun and engaging. Fanara’s favorite sport to watch is college basketball, and his favorite memory from high school would be “any bus ride home from or locker room after the 2020 playoff games. Especially that TD garden game.” He said he “would like to shoutout both my parents for everything they’ve done for me growing up and still to this day. Especially my mother, she’s my hero.” He also would like to thank Coach/Athletic Director Serino, as well as Coach Reilly, for always believing in him. Look out for Tommy Fanara during the Fall II football season and his senior seasons while he chases two more rings to add to his collection.