Girls Soccer SSL All Stars: 2020

Recognizing the Talents of Three Girls Varsity Soccer Players

Junior Catherine Weafer was named as a South Shore League All Star for the 2020 Girls Varsity Soccer Team.

Faith Ryan and Emily Coulsey

This year, the Student Athlete Advisory Council (SAAC) has decided to create spotlights to honor Abington High School’s student athletes. In light of the current pandemic, it is more important than ever to recognize their efforts and talents.

To kick off these spotlights, those highlighted are three South Shore League All Stars from the Girls Varsity Soccer team. They are junior Catherine Weafer, senior Elizabeth Roy, and senior captain Isabella O’Connell.

Catherine Weafer

The first South Shore League All Star for the Girls’ Varsity Soccer team is junior Catherine Weafer. As a junior, this is Catherine’s first year at Abington High School after transferring here from Archbishop Williams High School. Catherine has played soccer since she was four years old and currently plays center midfield for the varsity team. Her favorite memory from this season was getting to know everyone on the team. She chose this sport because she has been playing since she was little and it is her favorite game. During this season, Catherine scored a goal in each game against South Shore Christian Academy and scored the lone goal to tie Rockland in the Shoemakers Cup from 35 yards out. Outside of school, she plays club soccer and even went to Puerto Rico in a tournament with them. Catherine was a very valuable player in her first season with the team and everyone is excited to see what she can do in her senior season next year!

Elizabeth Roy

The next South Shore League All Star for the Girls’ Varsity Soccer team is senior Elizabeth Roy. Elizabeth has been playing soccer since she was in first grade and this past season was her fourth season with the team. By trade, Elizabeth is a defender but often plays forward for the team. Elizabeth has scored goals in multiple games including one against Carver and two against South Shore Christian Academy. Her favorite memory from all the years in the program is the Pink Night to raise money for Breast Cancer Awareness. She chose to go into soccer because it was her favorite sport since she was a kid and she always liked being part of a team. As well as being an amazing soccer player, she is a member of the Girls’ Basketball Team and runs track and field for the high school. In 2019, Elizabeth was named Defensive Player of the Year for the team. Elizabeth was an amazing soccer player, and she will be deeply missed next year!

Isabella O’Connell

The last South Shore League All Star for the Girls’ Varsity Soccer team is senior Isabella “Bella” O’Connell. Isabella has been playing soccer since she was five years old and has been the goalkeeper for the team for the past 4 years, as well as captain her senior year. Her favorite memory from her years with the team is when the parents in previous years would make food and bring it down to the field. They would set up the food in the parking lot for a tailgate before a night game. She said that those nights were always a fun way to get excited for the game, and she loved having that time to spend with the team while watching the other team play. Isabella chose to play soccer because she always loved playing it while growing up. Isabella is also a member of the Girls’ Basketball Team and runs track and field. She was named to the Enterprise All Scholastic team as a sophomore and junior and has been a South Shore League All Star since her sophomore year. She also was named an Eastern Mass All Star her senior year and team MVP her sophomore and junior year. Isabella had many shutouts this season and at her last home game she saved four penalty kicks in the Shoemakers Cup versus Rockland. Isabella will be missed next year as a teammate and player both on and off the field.