Cam Smith, Autumn LaPointe, and Xavier Curney (Mr. Bill Marquardt, with permission)
Cam Smith, Autumn LaPointe, and Xavier Curney

Mr. Bill Marquardt, with permission

Celebrating Senior Successes

Awards Ceremonies Highlight Talent

June 1, 2018

The last week of May is a time when seniors begin practicing for their graduation. For seniors at Abington High School, graduation will be Saturday, June 2 at 10 AM. The end of May is also a time for attending banquets and ceremonies highlighting their accomplishments.

On May 30 in the Abington Middle School cafeteria, AHS student athletes received awards for their talents, teamwork, and hard work.  The ceremony was hosted by AD Mr. Peter Serino and Assistant AD Mrs. Kate Casey. Abington Green Wave Boosters sponsored the dinner.

Over a dozen seniors received athletic awards, while there was also one MVP Award for each sport and several students received awards as Future College Athletes.

On May 31 in the Abington High School auditorium, members of the Class of 2018 received awards for their academic talents. The awards from administration were as follows:

• Abington High School Legacy Award in Honor of Jim McGrath: Jennifer Monteiro
  • Abington High School Outstanding Student: Danielle Panico
  • Assistant Principal’s Award: Leticia daSilva
  • Certificate of Academic Excellence awarded by Massachusetts Association of School Superintendent: Allison Dennehy
  • MSAA Student Achievement Award: Nivetha Aravindan
  • Principal’s Award: Alyssa Gendreau

There were also department awards for Art, Athletics, Business, Drama, English, Foreign Language, History and Social Science, Mathematics, Music, Physical Education/Wellness, and Science. Other awards were given for clubs, such as The Green Wave Gazette, National Honor Society, and Peer Mentors.

Approximately 70 scholarships, totalling over $85,000, were also awarded. Many of these scholarships were in memory of Abington alumni, teachers, and/or residents, who live on in their memorial scholarships, such as the Jeremy Weston Scholarship.

Ms. Pflaumer
Joe Genest (left), recipient of the Jeremy Weston Memorial Scholarship

Three members of the Class of 2014, President Marianna Porcello, Treasurer Matt Whalen, and Vice President Ryan Mariano, presented a scholarship in memory of their classmate Jeremy Weston to Joe Genest.

A scholarship given in memory of a beloved Abington High School tutor, Mrs. Karin Whitten, who passed away on May 26 was given to Carynne Valle. Like Mrs. Whitten, Valle embodies a positive attitude and kindness towards others. Mrs. Whitten primarily served in grades 9 and 10 science and math classes at the high school, but also had worked in the English department senior poetry classes. The Karin Whitten Scholarship was presented by paraprofessionals Mrs. Buckley, Mrs. O’Donnell, and Mrs. Peck who worked closely with Mrs. Whitten.

Well done seniors! As Assistant Principal Louko stated in her Abington Mariner interview, you are “such a positive class” and you “have a strong culture of being inclusive…”. So as Principal Sullivan stated at the start of the ceremony, “Congratulations to those who represent the best and brightest!”