New Classes: Get Fit for Life!

New Wellness and Physical Education Classes for the 2018-2019 School Year

Abington+Pride
Back to Article
Back to Article

New Classes: Get Fit for Life!

Abington Pride

Abington Pride

Bill Marquardt, used with permission

Abington Pride

Bill Marquardt, used with permission

Bill Marquardt, used with permission

Abington Pride

Abby Joyce, Staff Writer

For the coming 2018-2019 school year, Abington High School will be offering many new physical education and wellness classes, such as Lifelong Fitness, Competitive Games, Get Fit, Crossfit, Human Sexuality, Life 101, and Mind/Body/Spirit.

With these new classes, students of all athletic abilities can enjoy physical education at their own level and pace, while still receiving information about health and fitness.

Assistant Athletic Director Mrs. Casey, who is also a teacher and coach, believes these offerings  will “cater to the needs and the wants of the students.” She “thinks the availability for them to try them out [the different offerings] during the school day with no cost helps out a lot.”

Casey also hopes that people get rid of  the idea it is “just gym” and “find these classes more enjoyable.” Her goal for students “is to develop lifelong learners of fitness.” And not just for gym class. She hopes that students “find a love for something, and if that something is walking thirty minutes a day, then that’s better than 65% of our population that doesn’t even exercise for thirty minutes.”

Pullquote Photo

Casey also hopes that people get rid of the idea it is ‘just gym’ and ‘find these classes more enjoyable.’”

— Abby Joyce

Through these new activities, Casey also hopes kids “are able to do them and they can get the social piece out of them, and the can hopefully continue them after they leave Abington High School.”

Casey says that Mind/Body/Spirit, one of the new classes offered,  is “a combo Health/PE class that will work on a person’s emotional, mental, social and physical health. They [students] will work on deep breathing techniques, muscle relaxation, mindfulness and yoga. Some days they will be in the classroom and other days they will be in working out and being active.”

Casey also adds that the new Crossfit class “is adapted from the Crossfit program that is used all over the world. It is a high intensity cardiovascular and strength and conditioning class that focuses on metabolic conditioning.”

So, students, get ready for these new classes that offer you physical and social activity at your own level and for your best enjoyment. And if Ms. Casey gets her wish, you will carry out these wellness skills even after high school.

[Previous omission: Ms. Kate Casey is also the district’s Wellness Director]

About the Writer
Abby Joyce, Public Relations Manager

Abby is a member of the class of 2021. This is her second year as a staff member of the Green Wave Gazette.  Formerly a staff reporter, she was elected...

1 Comment

One Response to “New Classes: Get Fit for Life!”

1. Susan Crowley on March 30th, 2018 12:53 PM

Kudos to Kate Casey and the health and wellness department for innovative curriculum design. I am sure it will received. Nice job on the article Abby.

• New Classes: Get Fit for Life!

Health and Wellness

Celebrating Ms. Casey’s Work for Wellness

• New Classes: Get Fit for Life!

Health and Wellness

The Dangers of Gaming

• New Classes: Get Fit for Life!

Health and Wellness

Nullifying Normal Cigarettes, but Is the JUUL Safe?

• New Classes: Get Fit for Life!

Health and Wellness

JUUL in School

• New Classes: Get Fit for Life!

Health and Wellness

Say no

New Classes: Get Fit for Life!