Cheerleading Success

The girls are headed to Nationals

The Green Wave Girls Get Focused before a competition

(Courtesy Green Wave Cheerleaders)

Vinny Picardi, Contributor

The Abington High School cheerleading team marched into competition season with high hopes and confidence. The girls are lead by Coach Kim Hicks, now in her fourth year as coach at AHS. There was something different about this group of cheerleaders. In their first two invitationals the team placed first in both competitions. This energized the group to capture an impressive third place spot in the South Shore League competition advancing them to yet another challenge in the regional meeting.

Going into the competition held at Dartmouth High School, the Green Wave Cheerleaders were ready to take on the best from around the state. Unfortunately the girl’s dreams of going to nationals in the spring were cut short by just half a point at the regional competition. “I was devastated. We all were. But, I was proud of the season we had and everything we accomplished,” said Senior Co-Captain Shannon Cardinal.

I was proud of the season we had and everything we accomplished.

— Co-Captain Shannon Cardinal

The very next day in school the team received a text from Coach Hicks that preserved their season. The text assured the cheerleading team they got a bid to compete in the state competition. Co-Captain Mikayla Rooney said receiving that text felt like it was meant to be. “We worked too hard this season for it to end that quickly,” said Rooney. The Green Wave used this fuel to take home sixth place in the state competition at Wachusett Regional High School and booked them a flight to nationals in Florida in the spring.