The Improvables are Ready to Play Games

The Improvables
Top Row- Travis Torchetti, Tim McDonnel, Riley Morrison, Alexa Elliot, Leah Alessi, Corinne Easton, Alyssa McKay Bottom Row- Abigail Budwey, Lindsey Collins, Leighann Healy, Katie Griggs, Kim Phan

The Improvables Top Row- Travis Torchetti, Tim McDonnel, Riley Morrison, Alexa Elliot, Leah Alessi, Corinne Easton, Alyssa McKay Bottom Row- Abigail Budwey, Lindsey Collins, Leighann Healy, Katie Griggs, Kim Phan

I’m sitting in a room watching a velociraptor, a skateboarder, and William Shakespeare trying to date my classmate. Am I hallucinating? No! This Monday I sat in on a practice session of Abington High School’s very own improv group, the Improvables. Improvisation requires creativity, acting skills, and quick thinking. Luckily the Improvables have those skills in surplus.

The Improvables was started by Mrs. Clifford, one of Abington High’s English teachers. When she first started to teach public speaking she had a class that not only was scared of public speaking, but “not very comfortable with each other.” She tried out improv with her class, something she had “enjoyed” while in college, and they loved it. The Improvables was born and their ranks have been growing ever since.

The Improvables employ improv through various “games” that allow their talent to really shine. And shine they should considering they have been practicing six to eight hours every week for eight weeks. One such game is called Let’s Make a Date. One bachelor or bachelorette must ask three “contestants” questions to figure out what they are supposed to be (like a prehistoric reptile or the Bard of Avon). Another game that I enjoyed watching them perform was Two Lines. In this event, three players are given a scenario, but two of them are only allowed to say two particular lines (“I miss my bunny,”  “It’s against my religion”, etc.). The other player is the mediator who must keep the scene going. A very popular game is “Bus Stop,” in which a player must assume a weird trait and get another to move from the chair he or she is sitting in. I found this one to be particularly humorous.

Sophomore Riley Morrison claims he joined because he “would be in a full body cast if (he) joined the football team.

— Ian Macleod

Why do these brave performers throw themselves to the mercy of random scenarios and a judging crowd? Freshman Corinne Easton joined because she has “loved musical theater and improv and acting in general” since she was three years old.  Lindsey Collins, another freshman, likes the Improvables “because you don’t know what will happen. There is no script, so it’s different every day.” Katie Griggs explains simply that she likes the Improvables because it’s “better than soccer.”

Be sure to catch the Improvables perform on Thursday, November 21 and Friday,  November 22 at 7:00 PM in the Paul K. Smith Music Room. You’re sure to leave with a smile on your face. Tickets are sale during lunch.