Saying Goodbye to AHS

After the building is gone, memories will remain

From the AHS Class of 1966 Yearbook

Kerry Cardinal, Contributor

Abington High School has been standing for a long 52 years and is soon to be torn down and replaced by a bigger and more advanced school for the 2017-2018 school year. AHS students, former and present, seem to have mixed emotions about their beloved school being replaced.

Shannon Cardinal who graduated in 2014 shared her opinion about the new school. The new school is by far not what she wanted. “I made all my high school memories there; the ones I will never forget,” said Cardinal. She also claimed that tearing the building down will be like “tearing away all my teenage years.”

I made all my high school memories there.

— Shannon Cardinal

Current student Molly Donovan graduates in 2017.  Not having the old building to remind her of all the good times seems a little too final for her. “I’m sad I won’t get the chance to attend the new school, but if I had a say, I would want the current school to stay. I want to be able to come back when I’m older and look back on all of our memories here,” said Donovan.

It seems memories are a trend many are grieving over. Kerry Frye-Rodriguez who graduated in 1992 agreed that it was heartbreaking to see her memories torn down along with the building. However, she did think it was “about time for a new school.” The town clearly agreed with Rodriguez that a new school was necessary, voting overwhelmingly for it back in 2014.

Abington CAM

Looking upon it, it is clear that a bountiful amount of memories will forever stand where today’s high school does. As the new high school goes up, students past and present, should cherish their time left with the current Abington High School, and look forward to continuing the legacy of the Abington Green Wave at the brand-new school.