Nature and Its Beauty

Relieve Stress With All the Outdoors Has to Offer

The author at a campsite in Foxboro, MA

The author at a campsite in Foxboro, MA

(Family photo with permission)

(Family photo with permission)

The author at a campsite in Foxboro, MA

Nathan Joyce, Contributor

Are you stressed, bored, or need to be healthier? Well then, stop using your phone and look outside the window at all that’s around you. Nature and all of its beauties and wonders will help you be healthier physically and mentally. When you go outside and experience nature, you become relieved of stress, and you can find new experiences. In understanding all that the outdoors has to offer, you may even find something new you love and enjoy.

Nature can be a great stress relief for many people. Going on a hike or going for a swim is very soothing. The feeling of being out and free takes your mind off things like the stresses of school and work. Beautiful scenery and fresh air can be relaxing in stressful times if there is a problem or worry in your life. According to the online source Prevention, in the article “Natural Ways to Calm Down,” a study done in Scotland determined that people who lived near “green” areas have lower stress levels.

Beautiful scenery and fresh air can be relaxing in stressful times if there is a problem or worry in your life.”

— Nathan Joyce

Getting away can clear your mind and allow you to problem solve. According to the online group CRCHealth, hundreds of studies have found that being in nature has a huge effect on stress relief. Stress relief is important for students because stress, according to WebMD (an online health website), can lead to depression, anxiety and many other health diseases. So, it’s important to get outside, and in nature, because your mind rests, and it allows you to calm down and relax.

Another benefit of nature is that for those that like water, swimming strengthens muscles and makes you healthier. Exercising your heart and other organs helps with keeping away disease such as heart disease, diabetes and arthritis. A great place to get exercise in water is Island Grove in Abington, a place where you can swim. Island Grove is on Park Ave right across from the Abington police station.

Breathing non-polluted fresh air is good for your lungs, which you can feel with every breath you take. According to WebMD, exercise strengthens your lungs and increases your oxygen intake which makes you healthier. Exercise is also a great way to lose weight or stay looking fit. Health magazines and programs such as Authority Nutrition say that exercise is one of the best ways to lose weight. Without getting outside and into nature, you could be missing all of these health benefits. Nature is never too far away.  There are some beautiful parks very close by. One is Ames Nowell State Park which is on Linwood St. in Abington. It’s right up the road and is a great place to experience nature.

A little farther away, in the town of Milton is the Blue Hills Reservation. It has 125 miles of hiking trails, an observation tower with 360 degree views of  Metropolitan Boston, and a swimming beach at Houghton’s Pond. So, if you find yourself stressed out or feeling unhealthy, consider getting out in nature.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Nature and Its Beauty”

1. richard laramee on March 18th, 2016 6:18 pm

Hey Nathan,

Very well written article – nice work.

I agree with the message and my son Mike is a very good example – he loves hiking on his own. Both Tom & Bob, my other two sons have similar tastes and in fact I used to bring them to Houghtons pond when they were little.

I don’t have much stress in my life anymore but I get out and exercise every day of the week here where there is plenty to choose from – 2400 different clubs doing all kinds of stuff although most of my time is spent practicing or playing pickleball and exercising at the gym 🙂

I miss watching you play your sports but it is quite a long commute to fly up for a game.

Keep up the good work – maybe some day I will be reading your articles in the Boston Globe 🙂 🙂

[Reply]

2. Elizabeth Laramee on March 18th, 2016 6:21 pm

Terrific write-up with great advice. Makes many good points that would benefit all of us.

[Reply]

• Nature and Its Beauty

Clubs and Entertainment

Wrapping Up 2016/2017

• Nature and Its Beauty

Clubs and Entertainment

Leaving Our Mark

• Nature and Its Beauty

Showcase

They Did It!

• Nature and Its Beauty

Showcase

The Newport Mansions of the Gilded Age

• Nature and Its Beauty

Arts and Entertainment

“Annie” Opening Provides Opportunity for Student Journalists

• Nature and Its Beauty

Pro and College Sports

Red Sox Live and Die with Pitching

• Nature and Its Beauty

Green Wave Sports

In the Fairway with Coach Hill

• Nature and Its Beauty

Clubs and Entertainment

Abington Global Education: Iceland 2017

• Nature and Its Beauty

Showcase

Senior Spotlight: Brianna Medeiros

• Nature and Its Beauty

Green Wave Sports

For Tyler Perakslis, Baseball is a Family Tradition

Nature and Its Beauty