Seeing Blue and Black (or is it White and Gold?)

Dress debate burns across internet

Katarina Callanan, Contributor

Recently, a lot of people have been talking about what the true colors of “The Dress” are. Some argue that it is white and gold, while others are 100 percent sure they see the dress as blue and black. Talk about this dress is headlining all over social media, around schools and even on the news! The color of the dress is messing with the minds of the world, but it is simply an illusion. #thedressdebate is trending all over the place, but everyone just wants to know the answer. What color is the dress?

What color did you see when you first saw "the dress?"

• Gold and White (48%, 10 Votes)
  • Blue and Black (38%, 8 Votes)
  • Both - depends on when or long I looked at it. (14%, 3 Votes)

Total Voters: 21

Loading ... Loading ...

CBS Boston reports that Roman Originals designer Peter Christodoulou confirms that the dress is blue and black. But, what you see depends on something  people are having trouble explaining. Maybe its the lighting in the room that makes us see a different color than someone else, or is there a science behind why you see the color you do? Everyday people are pulling answers out of thin air to find an explanation. It is driving us all crazy!

Everyday people are pulling answers out of thin air to find an explanation. It is driving us all crazy!

— Katerina Callanan

Various experts have said that it depends on how our eyes perceive the colors displayed across the screen differently, and that our genes and eyes are to blame for our perception of the dress’ color.

Freshmen Amanda Martini, Jennifer Pizzi and Amanda Valle look at "the dress." (Katerina Callanan)
Freshmen Amanda Martini, Jennifer Pizzi and Amanda Valle look at “the dress.” (Katerina Callanan)

I asked my friend Emma in California, about the dress. “It is interesting; I think it’s based on perspective. Personally I see blue and black on the dress, but some people see gold and white,” said Emma. At high schools across the country, class discussions (and arguments) are taking place about the dress. Many just brush it off and ask “who really cares?” but others are ready to argue that they are correct.

A fellow classmate and friend added her input. “I think the dress is a mind game to some people. It changes color to me, I see it as black and blue in some pictures, but in others I see it as gold and white,” said Amanda Valle, a freshman at AHS.

Ms. Pietrasik’s Algebra class surveyed 75 students and found that 68 percent saw blue and black. But, that still leaves a lot of people seeing gold and white.

Wars between friends erupted across the nation all because of the color of a dress posted to social media last Thursday ( February 25).  The Washington Post writes that Roman Originals plans to take advantage of the trending issue by offering it in in white and gold too.  The dress seems destined to be a top seller based on it’s viral internet interest. So, what color do you see?