Tank Tops, Short-Shorts, Yoga Pants, Oh My!

Are Teens Dressing Appropriately for School?

Nicole Bradbury, Staff Writer

Summer has come and gone, and most people have stored away their short-shorts and tank tops. Still, some brave souls continue to look past dress codes and regulations in favor of making fashion statements, however scandalous they may be.

It is common to see both girls and guys walking around school breaking the dress code, as it has been for years. However, even though a male student may be spotted with an inappropriate t-shirt now and then, it is much more common to see female students “showing too much skin,” as opponents of these dressing habits would say. Why do some students feel the need to dress this way, and who or what influenced them to do so?

“I think a lot of kids do not dress appropriately for school. (It could be) a form of retaliation. (Maybe) they feel like others shouldn’t be able to tell them how to dress,” said senior Hayley Burke. For many students, this is the mantra they use to choose their daily outfits.

Some students would argue that dressing this way is just the current style. And, many would think it unusual if a girl came in wearing shorts to her knees on a hot day, and not the incredibly short shorts that most teenaged girls have accepted as a fashion staple. Teens are great followers and copiers, and dressing inappropriately is just another example of this trait.

Teens are great followers and copiers, and dressing inappropriately is just another example of this trait.

— Nicole Bradbury

Perhaps the answer to these fashion habits doesn’t lie within the teen, but in the emphasis on sexual content that makes up pop culture in today’s society. For example, many celebrities that teens look up to continuously wear scandalous clothing. Some also think that the modern dressing style of teens is a product of acceptance of rape culture (cultural excuses that tolerate sexual violence, victim blaming and sexual objectification) being instilled into their minds. Since rape is unfortunately extremely common in the lives of many people around the world, it’s not a far stretch to say that inappropriate dress in young teens could be one contributor to this type of behavior. On the other hand, the way anyone dresses is not an excuse for rape to be acceptable by any means.

In the past, many guys and even school administrators across the country have confessed that the modern fashion habits of girls can become a distraction to the learning environment. However, this statement could also be looked at from the female perspective, as some guys tend to wear tank tops and muscle tees with deep cut outs in the sides in the warmer months, exposing much of their torsos. This scenario opens the door to the wider and more serious topic of sexism, and how it has continued into the modern era.

What is or isn’t appropriate is up to the administration and its rules, however students should think twice before coming to school in what they feel is rebellious. A school is a place of learning that requires respect between students and teachers, and this is hard to do when some come dressed as if they are ready to partake in one of Nicki Minaj’s latest music videos. Students must learn to respect themselves and project a positive attitude, while at the same time expressing their personalities through fashion. Luckily, this is an easy task, and can simply be done by creating a good impression and dressing appropriately for school.