Review: The Marvels

The MCU’s latest is fun, but falls flat.

The Marvels is the newest movie released by Marvel Studios. The film follows Captain Marvel (Brie Larson), Ms. Marvel (Iman Vellani), and Monica Rambeau (Teyonah Parris) as they venture into the galaxy in order to save it. The movie begins with lots of build up such as the three characters swapping places whenever they use their powers. It ends with a satisfying conclusion that plenty of marvel fans will enjoy but may leave a casual viewer confused.

Throughout the movie the three characters really grow not only as people but into found family, they become sisters almost. The dynamic between Captain Marvel and Ms. Marvel as found sisters is beautiful, as well as the awkward reunion and tension between Monica and Captain Marvel. However, the films villains and supporting characters aren’t given enough screen time, the wonderful Park Seo-Joon an amazing south Korean actor plays the character Prince Yan, who is widely underused. The film’s other villain Dar-Benn (Zawe Ashton) is sadly used as a plot device for why the movie happens rather than being a developed character.

Overall, the movie was ok. Critically, I must give the movie a D, for cinephile’s or those who just want to see a movie I’d give it a C, lastly, for the fans of The Marvels, the movie is ranked at a B-, the movie is good, but anyone can see its many faults.