AHS Alum’s Memory Lives on Through Scholarship

The Christopher Wells Scholarship is awarded each year to a top student-athlete

Chris Wells class of 75

AHS Yearbook Archive

Chris Wells class of ’75

Ellie Lindo, Guest Contributor

The Christopher Wells Memorial Scholarship is a unique college fund awarded to select Abington High School students each year. It all began with Christopher Wells, an incredible student, athlete, and beloved member of the class of ’75. Wells lived in Abington his entire childhood, then went off to college at Dartmouth following his high school career. Wells died in a devastating motorcycle accident seven years after leaving Abington. The class of ’75 came together over this tragedy and started the Christopher Wells Memorial Scholarship in the name of their late classmate. This scholarship has been awarded to students who exhibit the same ambitions and accomplishments as Wells when he attended Abington High School. Students who receive this award leave a positive impact in the classroom, and on the sports field. My mom, my aunt, and one of my best friends all received this scholarship as a testament to their leadership, academic and athletic achievements.

In 1982 the first scholarship was awarded—five-hundred-dollars to Matt Burke who, like Wells, was headed to Dartmouth College. The class of ’75 started fundraising through a basketball tournament that after ten years they decided to replace with a golf tournament. Over the years, the class of ’75 has been gaining more and more awareness for their cause. With the number of donations increasing each year, the scholarship given to the class of 2022 will be significant, with a fundraising goal of $500,000. This scholarship has been running for forty-years, so while important, it isn’t just representative of the hard work and achievements of Abington’s top student-athletes, but the incredible community that Christopher Wells and the class of ’75 created in Abington. For more information please visit https://chriswellsmemorial.com/