Being Grateful

Volunteering Makes Us Feel Good

Bright Irabo, with permission

Abington High School junior Chimaobi Igwe (far left) with a group of his friends at Cradles to Crayons warehouse in Newtonville on July 14, 2020.

Chimaobi Igwe, Contributor

I believe that if you see someone in need, help them. When you help, help will find its way back.

In the summer of 2020, a group of friends and I went to a donation center called Cradles to Crayons in Newtonville, A friend of mine told us about it and we were not busy at all, so eight friends and I ran right at it.

Pullquote Photo

At the end of the day, we helped over 300 kids from all over.

— Chimaobi Igwe

Prior to our arrival we let them know how many people were coming. We booked an appointment.

At Cradles to Crayons, the donations such as clothes, shoes, books, toys, and hygiene accessories are donated from everywhere in Massachusetts. The clothes are sorted based on different ages, gender, and sizes.

My friends and I were put into pairs where we would be given a child’s name and the things they needed. We picked out the items and sorted and arranged them. We put them into several bags. We would then grab another child’s name and continue the same for them.

At the end of the day, we helped over 300 kids from all over. This made me very joyful because I felt like helping these children have a better tomorrow would push them to help people all over the world.

I believe I should be grateful for every little and the big thing I have. Each day I wake up, I should be grateful because I have a roof over my head.  I have clothes to cover myself. I have food to eat.

We need to learn not to look down on anybody. To learn not to feel like we have more or have attained more than others. Just because we have what those we were helping don’t have doesn’t mean we are any better than them in any way or manner.

Helping out at Cradles and Crayons opened my eyes to see the world in other people’s shoes.

If you are touched by this message, use the following link to donate to Cradles to Crayons: https://www.cradlestocrayons.org/

https://www.cradlestocrayons.org/boston/donate-now/