A Multitude of Moves Might Not Be All Bad

Advice from Someone with Experience

Mr. Dorman, with permission

A sign outside of Abington High School meant to keep traffic flowing can also be read as great advice.

Katelyn Mirick, Contributor

From Florida to Maine to Massachusetts. Within one year I’ve been to multiple schools and not just because I’ve transitioned from elementary, to middle, and then to high school. I’ve been moving for as long as I can remember. To me, moving schools is nothing more than a new setting with new faces. I have moved around eight to nine times since birth.

However, moving does come with the anxiety of fitting in and not being noticed at the same time. Feelings of being scared, nervous, and vulnerable, as well as always wondering what others are thinking and feeling about me, are common. As a person who has some idea about moving, here’s my advice if you are transferring to a smaller or larger or even just to high school in general:

Keep an open mind!

Most likely there are other new kids who may be moving from an even farther distance and having more trouble than you. Always be sure to keep an open mind as to how others may be feeling and how others act. As a new student you can try to make friends with the other new kids. They can in some ways relate to you. I have already made a friendship with another student that is also new. I made sure to keep an open-mind as to what he was going through and how he was feeling with the new school.  Having lived in many places, I have learned to make new friends and adapt to new situations. This can help overcome any obstacles that are brought forward, such as moving away from friends.  

Pullquote Photo

Sometimes putting yourself out there can make you some lifelong friends.

— Katelyn Mirick

Speak up!

Making friends may be difficult. Trust me, I know. But if you’re not putting yourself out there you can’t expect others to come in. Don’t be afraid of being judged or getting rejected. Sometimes putting yourself out there can make you some lifelong friends. You can put yourself out there in many ways. You can sit with someone and simply start a conversation, or ask if you could sit with someone at lunch.  

Don’t be afraid to ask questions!

If you don’t understand something, then raise your hand and ask. More likely than not someone else was wondering the same thing and was too afraid or just didn’t care enough to say something. In class, asking questions can help to form a relationship with a teacher by showing them you want to learn and are willing to try your hardest to understand the new material. Group work can help you to make new friends. You could start a conversation by asking questions. In the school, you most likely will get lost, too, so don’t be afraid to ask someone if they could give you directions.

Relax!

These are just a bunch of new people you’ll see for a small portion of your life. You shouldn’t be nervous of them when they might not even notice you to begin with. That one day you sit alone at lunch won’t determine you never having friends or being looked at as the lonely kid. Nobody will care and sometimes you just need to be alone.

Don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone!

Join that club you’ve been looking at. Being a part of a community looks better on college applications in the long run. Go hang out with people. You could have an amazing time and even make some life-long friends. What’s the worst that could happen? You could embarrass yourself? That would be okay because then you would have funny memories to look back on!

So in a nutshell, high school may seem hard now, but you don’t want to be that person who looks back and says, “Wow, I should’ve joined that club” or “I should’ve been at that game.” High school may be the best years of your life and being at a different one can give you a new chance to grow. Have fun, don’t have any regrets, and enjoy it while it lasts. And most importantly, stay positive and take deep breaths.