Send a Friend a Rainbow

GSA Candy Sales for St. Patrick’s Day

The GSA at Abington High is selling rainbow candies for St. Patrick’s Day during all lunches for $1. The candies will be delivered to homerooms on Monday, March 18, 2019.

Emily Coulsey, Staff Writer

During the week of March 11-15, Abington’s Gay-Straight Alliance members will be selling candies in honor of St. Patrick’s Day. The staff of Abington High School were able to purchase candies ahead of the students during the week of March 4-8. Students will be able to purchase the candies for $1 at each lunch during the week of March 11 and have them delivered to a friend on Monday, March 18. The GSA members will deliver them.

In order to send a bag of candies to a friend, students will need to know the name of the   homeroom advisor of the student that they wish to send the gift candies to. Students can send them to friends, or even themselves if they wish.  

Mrs. Daisy, the wellness teacher and advisor of the GSA at Abington High School, says that the GSA “chose St Patrick’s Day because of the references to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. A rainbow is also a sign of gay pride. As the school’s Gay Straight Alliance, we are hoping to bring awareness and support to the LGBT community.”

This is the third year that the GSA has sold these candies. 

Apart from the candy selling during March, Mrs. Daisy said “the GSA Club participates in numerous other activities throughout the school year.” She said, “We worked with Mr. Shannon and the Drama club to create the fence that was hanging in the school during the time of the Matthew Shepherd play ‘The Laramie Project.'”  Matthew Shepherd was killed because he was gay.

Ms. Daisy said that the GSA “has also sponsored Purple Day in October and made and donated a rainbow blanket to Annie’s Kindness Blankets.” Additionally, the GSA went to see the movie “Love Simon” and “will most likely hang posters around the school during June that are aimed at educating and creating tolerance,” Ms. Daisy said.  

Ms. Daisy said the GSA were active in the old school, too. “They painted positive messages all over the old school…asked administration to change over to a single color robe for graduation…[and] have met with other teachers and the Athletic Director to discuss ways to promote inclusion of the LGBT student and athlete.” 

Don’t forget to buy your candies March 11 through 15 at lunch!