Visiting SUNY Cobleskill  

How many colleges can boast two farms?

Carly Goldberg , Contributor

About four hours northwest of Boston, the State University of New York at Cobleskill, also known as SUNY Cobleskill, is located in its namesake town in Upstate New York. The University offers a variety of majors but is known best for its School of Agriculture and Natural Resources and for the School of Business and Liberal Arts & Sciences. With over 56 majors to choose from, anybody can find something here.   

Even if you are not majoring in agricultural studies, you are still able to pet and play with them at any time!”

— Carly Goldberg

The campus is small and rural. Lush hills surround the campus, giving it a warm, homey feeling.  

On Nov. 16, I visited the school and was able to attend a class. Only 13 people were in it, which in this case is very good because your professors will know you very well. The classrooms also had updated technology, perfect for keeping up with assignments.  

Regarding the dorms, there are ten residential halls, and upperclassmen have the chance to apply to live in the penthouse. For first year students, a double is assigned on campus. During my visit I was able to spend the night in a dorm. It gets very cold at night in Upstate New York, so bring lots of blankets.  

Since Cobleskill is an agriculturally based school, the campus has two farms. One is a dairy barn with over 200 cattle, and the other is a sheep and goat barn. The best part about these animals is that even if you are not majoring in agricultural studies, you are still able to pet and play with them at any time!  

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed SUNY Cobleskill. If you are looking for a school with a unique major, a small rural setting and small class sizes, this could be the place for you!