Meet Ms. Reardon

First year coach sits down for an interview

Abigail Strickland, Contributor

This is Ms. Reardon’s first year at Abington High School. She is a paraprofessional in the life skills co-op program. She also advises the Class of 2021. and is a coach for two teams. Recently she sat down for an interview about her first year at  Abington High School 

How is your first year in the classroom at Abington High School?

“My first year at Abington High has been a blast. Most people wake up and can’t wait for work to end. I wake up looking forward to work. I feel very fortunate to have found a job that never really feels like work because most other people my age don’t have that privilege.”

Why did you want to become a teacher?

“I wanted to become a teacher because I found out at a young age that I loved working with kids. When I was in school, I felt like I never really had a teacher that I could relate to or who understood me. I wanted to become that teacher for some to relate to.”

Where did you go to school?

“I went to Weymouth High and my senior year, after getting accepted to a few different schools, I decided to go to Massasoit because it made the most sense financially. It was the best decision I ever made. After my sophomore year I transferred to Bridgewater State University and finished my bachelors degree there.”

What did you go to college for?

“I began college with a major in communications with a focus in radio production, but at Bridgewater State University I switched my major and graduated with a degree in history.”

Pullquote Photo

I feel sports and the real world have many skills that go hand and hand.

— Coach Reardon

Did you play any sports?

“At Weymouth High I was a three sport athlete where I played soccer, track, and softball. I went on to play soccer at Massasoit and was named captain my freshman and sophomore years there. After I transferred to Bridgewater State University I played soccer my junior and senior years there as well.”

What do you coach in Abington?

“Girls’ JV Soccer and JV Softball.”

What made you want to become a soccer coach?

“My college coach Scott Dolan made me want to become a soccer coach. After my junior year he left the BSU program and had a lot of different coaching gigs. I spent a lot of time learning how to coach from him and developing my own style along the way.”

Describe your style of coaching.

“I’d say my style of coaching is relaxed but focused. I want to make sure that my players are developing not only on the field but in life. I feel sports and the real world have many skills that go hand and hand. My main concern isn’t about winning or losing; it is more just making sure my players are good people who make smart decisions.”

How is the softball season going?  

“I think as a first-time softball coach the season is going rather well. Each day we progress a little more and we’re finally starting to connect what we work on in practice into games.”

Coach Reardon’s positive attitude toward her students and teammates, even when the team has a bad inning and is upset or agitated, brings the team up from their slump and puts them right back into place. The record for softball right now is 10-6. The next games are today, May 24, in Norton,  May 29 against Silver Lake High School at home, and May 31 against East Bridgewater at home.

Be sure to come cheer the team on!

NOTE: The contributing reporter, Abigail Strickland, is a member of the softball team.