Taking Steps for Another

Abington Students Walk for Hospice 

Elizabeth Roy

Abington NHS Members. Back row: Hailee McClafferty, Katie Marando, Lauren Marella, Lisa Pinto, Jason Kinniburgh, Allison Dennehy, Nathan Joyce, and Brice Tolan. Front row: AbbieJayne Cristoforo, Hannah Kearney, Brianna McCadden, and Charlotte Ciampa

Elizabeth Roy, Staff Writer

On Saturday March 24, the Shore Health System hosted the 27th Annual Walk for Hospice at the South Shore Plaza in Braintree from 7-10 AM.  The Walk for Hospice is a walk to raise awareness for the Hospice of South Shore. At this event, over 2,000 community members came together to support hospice members and their families.

The goal to raise this year was $200,000 to care for 600 families on the South Shore. These funds allow patients and their families to receive medical care regardless of the cost.  The amount raised is currently at $138,719.

This year, a collaboration of 20 or more students from Peer Leaders and the National Honor Society from Abington High School attended the Walk for Hospice. Mr. Bill Siegel, leader of Peer Leaders, said that “Abington High School Peer Leaders has been volunteering for the Walk for Hospice for more than 15 years.”

The students who attended the Walk this year either volunteered in some way or participated in the actual walk. Katie Marando (’19) said she went because, “It is important to me to raise money to help patients and their families with financial strains and just showing that others care and are there to help. That’s why I went to volunteer, to show my support.”

Danielle Panico (’18) decided to do something different to participate. She said that, “This year, instead of walking like I normally do, I was a greeter at the event. Waking up at 5 in the morning was so worth it for such a great cause. The level of participation was amazing!”  

Pullquote Photo

It was an incredible feeling to know that just by participating in a walk, you can help out a family going through a difficult time.

— AbbieJayne Cristoforo

Those attending the event are welcome to walk around and receive information and free items from each sponsor and vendor who set up at tables along the walk.  There are also food tables where they provide water and snacks. When visiting the tables, participants are able to have the vendors check off their “Passport.” After the volunteer’s entire “Passport” is full, they are entered into a raffle for a chance to win a prize.  

There were other activities at the Walk for Hospice, such as music and dance performances.  AbbieJayne Cristoforo (’19) said that, “The best part about participating in the walk was that there were various activities to partake in and it was a fun, family friendly event. It was an incredible feeling to know that just by participating in a walk, you can help out a family going through a difficult time.”

Over the past 26 years, the Walk for Hospice has raised over $4.7 million. Mr. Bill Siegel knows the importance of this hospice fundraiser first hand. “My family has experienced terminal illness and I will never forget the great impact that Hospice has made on us.” 

For more information: Walk for Hospice South Shore