First Year on the Team

Freshmen have their own set of hurdles

Freshman Alex Freeman

GWG staff

Freshman Alex Freeman

Incoming freshmen are eager when entering high school. They have questions like, “What are the sports like?” and “Will I fit in?” Sean Spencer had these questions as he tried out for the Green Wave boys track team this year. We asked him how he went from inexperienced runner to confident competitor and what tips he had for future freshmen.

This being Spencer’s first year of running track, he said he “really wanted to increase (his) overall conditioning and develop new athletic skills that he can apply to other sports.” This is a common focus point for athletes who are looking to stay in shape during the spring. “You can see your improvements each practice and that really does help your overall conditioning,” said Spencer.

First time athletes often wonder what the coach will be like. Coach Brian Lanner is head coach for boys track, and according to Spencer “he is a good guy and a very smart coach.” Another coach Sean mentioned was Coach Steve George who works with the distance runners. “He is a really cool guy and has a very good idea of what it takes to be successful.” According to Spencer, Coach George’s advice for incoming freshmen is to “come into the first day in shape, do some running in the off season, and you will start your first year off strong.”

Overall Spencer said his first year of track went very smoothly and has been “lot of fun and hard work.” One highlight was coming in third place for the one mile run at his very first meet.

You can see your improvements each practice and that really does help your overall conditioning

— Sean Spencer

Spencer’s teammate and fellow freshman Alex Freeman competes in the shot put and discus. He found it was very helpful to follow the lead of more experienced teammates. “Dexter Chevalier and Ryan Mariano truly helped me. I still need improvement, but they really helped with my form.” Freeman added that one of the hardest parts about being a freshman was “getting everything ready for meets.”

The main focus for incoming athletes is to come in looking to improve and help their team. Spencer and Freeman have done just that along with other freshmen athletes. Hopefully they will continue that success beyond their first year.