Brianna Medeiros ((Courtesy Brianna Medeiros))

Senior Spotlight: Brianna Medeiros

Doing Her Best One Task at a Time

May 10, 2017

Senior Brianna Medeiros is a strong leader both inside and outside of the classroom. In addition to her extensive community involvement, Medeiros is heavily involved in school activities. She is president of Peer Leaders, a senior captain for the Math Team, the ways and means officer for the National Honor Society and associate editor of the Green Wave Gazette. Recently, her article “New School, New Language,” (about the ELL program at AHS) was chosen for publication in the Best of School Newspapers On-Line. Medeiros’ photography, research, and strong writing skills have greatly benefited the Gazette the past two years. Before she heads off for college, we wanted to shine our spotlight on her.

Can you tell us about your college plans and how you chose them?

I’m planning to study biology or biomedical engineering because I plan to go to medical school. I haven’t decided what specialty, but I want to be a doctor. I’ll be attending UMass Lowell, and it’s a great fit because they have a great biology and engineering program. I will be able to assist professors in research and do internships at the Lowell General Hospital five minutes away.

You joined the Green Wave Gazette your junior year, what sparked your interest in joining? And, what has been your most memorable experience?

I joined the Green Wave Gazette because I had some friends who joined and I thought I could work on my writing more. My most memorable moment as a GWG member was when I did my first upload of an article on to the website, which was a review of Drake’s album at the time, and the picture that went along with it had the illusion of being an ad for Hotline Bling (Click here to see Brianna’s original design restored in all it’s glory). I found it amusing and made the format take up the whole page when you first click on the article, and then you scroll up to see the article. Mr. Dorman and I had a few conversations about formatting after this.

How do you manage having so much responsibility for everything you participate in?

I honestly like responsibility; I like being involved in everything I make myself a part of. I manage the different roles by staying in touch with the group leaders and doing it little by little.

What other interests and activities do you do in your free time?

In my free time, I like to work out, preferably outside by playing soccer, biking or just running. Most of my free time is spent with my siblings who are both younger than me. On Sundays, I spend my afternoon at church where I love to play the drums, translate and teach children.

What is your most memorable experience at church with translating?

My most memorable experience with translating was when this man, Bill, came up to me after an hour of translating and said, “Thank you!” It was a small act, but reminded me that what it takes is worth it.

Why is family so important to you?

Since I am the oldest sibling, I take care of them after school because both our parents work. We enjoy each other’s company. I try to minimize my parent’s work rather than add more to their load so I act like a parent to them sometimes.

You performed as a featured dancer in “High School Musical” this year. Was that a challenge for you? 

Being onstage is not unusual for me. I have a long background of performances from school presentations to dancing in recitals. If I’m prepared I have nothing to fear.

As a senior, what advice do you have for underclassmen?

My advice to underclassmen is to challenge yourself in at least one area of life. (It could) be musically, academically, artistically, athletically or whatever else is meaningful to you. But, (you should also) have things that you find fun, that can give you a break from the thing you challenge yourself in.