Tom+Brady+and+the+New+England+Patriots+celebrate+another+Super+Bowl+victory+in+a+parade+in+Downtown+Boston+after+their+2017+win.+

Bill Marquardt, with permission

Tom Brady and the New England Patriots celebrate another Super Bowl victory in a parade in Downtown Boston after their 2017 win.

Patriots Fans Hope for Another Championship

Rams vs. Patriots in Super Bowl LIII Which Is Less Than a Week Away

January 29, 2019

Isn’t it such an honor to be a New England sports fan? The Boston Red Sox recently took the title home for the city of Boston a few months back. Now, the New England Patriots have a chance to bring yet another championship home.

Tom Brady and the Patriots will be heading to Super Bowl LIII at Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta. They will be facing off against Jared Goff and the lethal Los Angeles Rams Sunday, Jan. 3 at 6:30 PM. 

The New England Patriots were widely criticized during the regular season with various struggles at the beginning of the year. Many media outlets were talking about how the team isn’t the same as they used to be. Many were talking pessimistically about Tom Brady. Or how the Pats aren’t a championship team because of their defensive problems.

Yet, the team still finished as the 5th ranked offense and the 21st ranked defense in the league.

After watching the 37-31 overtime win against the top offensive team in the league, the Chiefs, in the AFC Championship, we have seen that those early season struggles were not major problems and that even with them the Patriots came through them.  

The Patriots, who have won five Super Bowls with Brady, will face the Los Angeles Rams who are the new kids on the block. They rose to the top after being a 4-12 team two years ago. The Rams won the NFC Championship in a nail biter just as the Patriots did. They beat the Saints in overtime 26-23.

Pullquote Photo

the Patriots will win in yet another overtime thriller with Tom Brady leading his team in the game winning drive.

— Josiah Rosa

The Rams are ranked 2nd in offense and 19th in defense. The key player for their offense is Todd Gurley. Gurley is the team’s starting running back who amassed 21 total touchdowns in the regular season. He’s been a little banged up in the playoffs. The Rams are still filled with many other stars on both the offense and defense that can lead the team, but Gurley is the main player the Patriots need to stop. The Rams can definitely rise to the occasion just like last week and beat the Patriots.  

The Patriots are considered the underdogs for the Super Bowl against the Rams even when they have more Super Bowl experience. However, after speaking with some students at Abington High School, the majority of the students picked the Patriots as the clear winners.

Who will win Super Bowl LIII?

• The New England Patriots (94%, 33 Votes)
  • The Los Angeles Rams (6%, 2 Votes)

Total Voters: 35

Loading ... Loading ...

Josiah Rosa, a senior at Abington, believes “the Patriots will win in yet another overtime thriller with Tom Brady leading his team in the game winning drive.” He predicts the score will be 41-40. This isn’t a surprise since we live in the New England area. But, Mike Boyle, also a senior at Abington High, had a different view on the score. He believes that the Rams will pass the Patriots and win 34-27 and that the Patriots defense will not rise to the occasion.

The Patriots vs Rams will definitely be a game to remember with two high-powered offenses and two mediocre defenses this Sunday at 6:30 PM.  

Pats All the Way

Abington High Shows Their Spirit

On Friday, Feb. 1, Abington High School students, teachers and staff showed their support for the New England Patriots who will be playing in Super Bowl LIII this Sunday, Feb. 3 in Atlanta against the Los Angeles Rams. There will be some familiar faces such as Brandon Cooks and Aquib Talib.

In support of their team, members of AHS could be seen in the hallways and classrooms today wearing a variety of Patriots jerseys, ranging from Tom Brady, to the Ty Law, and even Andre Tippett, whose jersey was worn by John Mueller, a member of the junior class. The secretaries in the front office were wearing Tom Brady jerseys to show their support and love for the Patriots. Other teachers wearing Patriots attire included Spanish teacher Sra. Fry, English teacher Mrs. McHugh, and Science teacher Mr Kitterick.

Pullquote Photo

The Patriots are going to win, no doubt.

— Thomas Furnass

Several Abington students were wearing Tom Brady jerseys like sophomore Rachel Barrett with her “old school” Tom Brady jersey to show off a little history.

Rather than the usual sea of green to support our football team, there was red, blue, white, and grey. But the spirit of a true Patriots fan runs beyond today’s “Pats Pride Day,” as on any given day many in the school wear Patriots sweatshirts or jerseys.

Math teacher Ms. Gerhart said, “I bet they are going to win. It will be 28-24. She then added, “Oh wait, I think the score is going to be 27-24 because Gostkowski [the kicker] is prone to miss at least one field goal.” Tom Furness, a member of the junior class, said, “The Patriots are going to win, no doubt.”

This Sunday, Feb. 3, Abington High School will be rooting on the New England Patriots as they take a journey to try to win their sixth Super Bowl title. If they win, the team will be tied with the Pittsburg Steelers for the most Super Wins in NFL history.