Abby is a member of the class of 2021. This is her second year as a staff member of the Green Wave Gazette. Formerly a staff reporter, she was elected...
Is Summer Reading Important?
AHS Students Think So
June 5, 2018
For the 2017-2018 school year, the freshman and sophomore classes were the first to pilot a summer reading program. During this program, students were asked to read one book chosen from a required list and a second book could be of their choice. For incoming students in the class of 2021, the required reading was from a list the English department provided, while the class of 2020, the required reading was from a list the Science department provided. Then, they were given some questions to be answered and discussed during the first weeks of school.
During the first week of class, students conversed with one another about their books and what they enjoyed. Freshmen answered the question, “To what degree can one person make a difference?” The sophomores answered the question, “What is our role in the natural world?” Both classes then used evidence from the books to support their answers.
The summer reading program allowed students to retrain critical thinking and analysis that they had gained from their past school years. It helped students recall lessons that they may have forgotten over the summer break in a way that they could enjoy.
In addition to helping students further their knowledge of their lessons in class, summer reading can allow students to relate to stories, as well as make text-to-world and text-to-text connections. When asked why summer reading is important, here is what some members of the classes of 2021 and 2020 said:
- “I think that it is very important for students to read over the summer…to keep up with digging deeper into your reading like we did throughout the school year so we don’t forget how to do it over summer break.” -Abby Strickland
- “I think summer reading is very important because without it students will lose a lot of skill over the summer and it helps to prevent that. Also, encouraging students to read will introduce them to good habits such as reading for pleasure because it can be really fun!”-Aleena Magnasco
- “Summer reading is important because it helps us keep reading skills over the summer so we are prepared for the next school year.”- Grace Monahan
- “Summer reading is definitely important to continue gaining knowledge and skills to put to use and make connections, even when school isn’t in session!”- Lyla Blanchard
- “I was very happy about it because it was to influence my class to choose entertaining books. It was really well handled by administration. It was a very passive pressure. Not overbearing. I particularly enjoyed the sci-fi readings.” -Roman Debono
Reading over the summer continues to further skills and knowledge. So go to the bookstore and start reading today!
Update: for the upcoming 2018-2019 school year, incoming juniors will also be reading two books. Information on all three summer reading programs (grades 9-11) is on the school’s website at abingtonps.org under the top tab “schools, then high school, then Required Summer Reading on the left side. Print all handouts and fill them in. Bring them to school when you return in the fall.