The Last Beam

Signing allows school community to leave their mark on history

Signature and messages on last beam to be placed during construction of the new Abington School Building.

Jhenifer Mendes

Jhenifer Mendes

Jhenifer Mendes, Contributor

On Wednesday April 6, the Abington school community had the opportunity to become part of the ongoing new school building project. From 2:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. students, teachers and residents of Abington could sign their names on the final beam for construction.

Ms. Corbett, a physics teacher at Abington High School was there and signed her name.  “I was a student here, and I think it’s interesting to see such a big project coming to life, and to see how different it will be from the school I went to and that I now teach at. I think it will be a positive advancement in the community of Abington,” said Ms. Corbett.

Throughout the day, clusters of elementary kids with their parents signed the beam and took pictures. By the end of the night, the whole beam was filled with names written in different color Sharpies. Many people wrote little messages supporting the building of the new school.

It’s a tribute to show how much the school means to us and the memories that were made here.”

— Alexis LaPointe (Class of 2016)

In a quick interview with Alexis LaPointe, a senior at Abington High School, she expressed her feelings about the new school. “I am very excited, but I’m not going to be here to enjoy it as much. The younger kids will have more access to new technology and they will be able to enjoy it more,” said LaPointe. She and many other high school students showed their support by signing their name on the beam.

LaPointe said she wanted to sign her name because “it’s part of the history of Abington. It’s a tribute to show how much the school means to us and the memories that were made here.”

The builders (Brait Builders of Marshfield) continue to make progress while facing difficult weather conditions. The new building will house pre-kindergarten and grades 5-12 when it is finished in the beginning of 2018. It promises to be a significant milestone for the community of Abington.

4 Comments

4 Responses to “The Last Beam”

1. Mary Mahoney on April 15th, 2016 9:07 am

Great story & awesome video. I am the project manager working on the project with the School Dept and I want to extend an invitation to tour the site one day in the future so the student body can continue to see our progress once the building envelope is up and your views from the High may be diminished. Again great writing & super job on the video!

[Reply]

Jim Dorman Reply:

Thank you so much! We would love to tour the site at an appropriate date.

[Reply]

2. Peter Schafer on April 15th, 2016 1:12 pm

Great story, reporting and tech skills. Thank you for your hard work and publishing. You are making the Green Wave proud! You always do Green Wave Gazette.

[Reply]

Jim Dorman Reply:

Thank you for your support Mr. Schafer!

[Reply]

• The Last Beam

Clubs and Entertainment

Wrapping Up 2016/2017

• The Last Beam

Clubs and Entertainment

Leaving Our Mark

• The Last Beam

Showcase

They Did It!

• The Last Beam

Showcase

The Newport Mansions of the Gilded Age

• The Last Beam

Arts and Entertainment

“Annie” Opening Provides Opportunity for Student Journalists

• The Last Beam

Pro and College Sports

Red Sox Live and Die with Pitching

• The Last Beam

Green Wave Sports

In the Fairway with Coach Hill

• The Last Beam

Clubs and Entertainment

Abington Global Education: Iceland 2017

• The Last Beam

Showcase

Senior Spotlight: Brianna Medeiros

• The Last Beam

Green Wave Sports

For Tyler Perakslis, Baseball is a Family Tradition

The Last Beam