The Tuition Blues

The high cost of college tuition and debt

Bethany Salah, Contributor

College should be a chance for a fresh start, a place to find your purpose, add definition and take a glimpse into your future. But, how are you supposed to do that if you can’t even make it through the door? The price of college has risen so much over the years that the stress of paying for it has become overwhelming.

The stress of college and the financial problems that come with it, are on the minds of  every high school student that hopes to go, but it is a lot more real for seniors. We spoke with two at AHS:

“I am definitely overwhelmed by the cost. At first I wasn’t even interested in going because it was so expensive,” said Christina Howe.

“Cost has definitely been a big factor in my college decision. It forced me to rule out some schools,” added Kim Phan.

Over half the people that go to college can’t afford it, and they go into debt. According to the National Center for Education Statistics, the “percentage of first-time, full-time undergraduate students at 4-year degree-granting institutions receiving any financial aid increased from 75 to 85 percent,” between 2006 and 2011.

Cost has definitely been a big factor in my college decision. It forced me to rule out some schools.

— Kim Phan

But, it’s not like they really have a choice. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor and Statistics, the unemployment rate for people who only have a high school diploma was six percent in 2014. The average for all workers is five percent. Without a college degree, it is difficult to get any type of job.

How long is one in debt after a college loan? Most banks offer contracts from five to 15 years to pay back the loans they give.  And of course, interest payments are added. The longer you take to pay back the loan, the more it costs you in the long run.

With the quickly rising cost of college, students are under a lot of pressure, feeling like they have no hope and can’t possibly have a future, because they don’t have enough money to pay for their education.