An Alluring Song

Olivia Holt releases her new CD "Generous"

Elias Tahan

Elias Tahan

Cecilia Lindo, Contributor

The new song “Generous” from upcoming pop artist Olivia Holt relates to the music popular among teens and young adults.  “Generous” has a solid beat, powerful lyrics, and a unique sound.

Holt uses a synthesizer to make the song sound almost computerized. The song, which uses assonance and staccatos to place emphasis on certain syllables and give it a stronger beat, sounds somewhat similar to the beat Prince used in his music.

In “Generous” the speaker is acting as a temptress.  The lyrics, I’m a taker not a giver, but I’m into you, and the way you’re looking at me got me in the mood.  I’m feeling Generous were written to appeal to feminine power.  Its purpose is like that of the Siren song from The Odyssey, to lure in a male.  This song will lure in its audience as well.  It is a great song to dance to, and after listening just once, it gets stuck in your head and you can’t help singing it.

This song will lure in its audience as well.”

— Cecilia Lindo

Holt is new to the music scene, as she released her first EP Olivia in 2016.  Born in Germantown, Tennessee, she has been in show business since she was a child.  She got her first major role in 2011, as the female lead in “Kickin’ It on Disney XD.  She starred in the Disney Channel show “I Didn’t Do It”, and the Disney Channel movie Girl vs. Monster.  Currently she has a lead role in Marvel’s “Cloak and Dagger”, and is the global brand ambassador for Neutrogena. Holt has had quite an evolution from Disney Channel actress to an upcoming star.

“Generous” was written as a follow up to Olivia’s last single “History”, which received over 120 million views on Spotify.  Her EP Olivia peaked at #19 on Billboard’s New Artist Chart and #34 on Billboard’s Pop chart.  “Generous” is more upbeat than “History” and Olivia’s other songs, which focus more on telling a story or being inspirational.  Songs such as “History”, “Phoenix”, and “Carry On” are also more pure and innocent than “Generous.”

“Generous” reflects popular music: it has a catchy tune, “tempting” lyrics, and a computerized, unique beat.  It has the potential to be a great hit.

Just like her song, Holt has great potential.  She is incredibly talented, and has written some successful songs.  With years of experience in show business under her belt, she knows how to put on a good show.  Since she is such an excellent actress, she can open more doors for herself in the future.  At only 20 years old, she has already achieved great milestones in her career.

Watch out for future star Olivia Holt because she is definitely going places!