Remembering a Friend and Supporting a Community

The Chris Wells Memorial Scholarship Turns 35

Chris Wells - AHS Class of 1975

AHS Yearbook Photo

Chris Wells – AHS Class of 1975

Morgan MacNeil-Berry, Copy Editor

Lifelong Abington resident and Class of 1975 graduate Christopher Wells died tragically in a motorcycle accident in May of 1982. Wells was an outstanding student, serving on the National Honor Society and graduating fourth in his class. He was also an outstanding athlete, playing football, basketball, baseball and tennis during his four year career. In 2015, he was inducted into the Abington High School Athletic Hall of Fame when he was described by the induction committee as “one of the most dominant athletes in Abington High School history.”

Soon after Wells’ death, his friends and loved ones began raising funds for a scholarship in his name. The first one was a $500 scholarship, but over the last few decades, the foundation has grown rapidly. This year’s scholarship was for $6,000. Since 1992, an annual golf tournament for people of all ages has been the main fundraiser. This year’s event takes place on June 15 and includes a comedy show after the golf tournament.

Since it began, the scholarship foundation has grown. Lifelong friends and classmates have raised over $400,000 for the benefit of Abington High School scholarships.   Over $130,000 in scholarships have been awarded and another $300,000 is held in custody in a Fidelity Investment account, professionally managed by American Wealth Advisors, a wealth advisory services provider owned and operated by one of Wells’ childhood friends.

According to Jeff Stone, Well’s classmate and president of the fund, “what started out as a desire to create a legacy scholarship for the love of a friend has turned into a passion to provide the kids of Abington a legacy scholarship endowment of at least $500,000, which will provide scholarships in perpetuity!” Past winners have included some of Abington High’s most accomplished students including this year’s recipient Kaitlyn Rust, and recent recipients Michael Nickley, Troy Panico, Brian Nickley, Jamie Dunn, Matt Crawford and Jessica Golden, and in the not so distant past, Ed Reilly, Nicole Parent, Melissa Cronin, Rachel Cronin, Kimberly Mace and Kerri Murphy.

The annual golf tournament will be held on Thursday June 15 at the Indian Pond Country Club in Kingston, MA. The tournament is sold out, but you can attend the comedy event at the same location. Doors open at 5:30 p.m. and the show begins at 7:00 p.m.. The show features Boston comedy legend Steve Sweeney along with local favorites Christine Hurley and Harrison Stebbins. Tickets are $65 or $650 for a table of 10. The event includes food stations and a cash bar. Visit the event webpage www.chriswellsmemorial.com. There is a link that allows you to buy tickets to the comedy show or make a donation to the scholarship.

Past Award Winners

May-82
Matt Burke

May-83
Mary Kate Lane

May-84
Maura Reilly

May-85
Richard Drea

May-86
Elizabeth Burke

May-87
Jonathan Barry

May-88
James Clarkson

May-89
Nicole Parent

May-90
Ed Reilly

May-91
Kerri Murphy

May-92
Meghan Medaio

May-93
Renee LaPointe

May-94
Andrew Tuttle

May-95
Kathleen McLaughlin

May-96
Renee Gambel

May-97
Kevin Norcott

May-98
Kimberly Mace

May-99
Andrea Russo

May-00
Brian Minnehan

May-01
Shawna LaPointe

May-02
Melissa Cronin

May-03
Erin Smyth

May-04
Rachel Cronin

May-05
Alexandra Hitchcock

May-06
Lynn Mione

May-07
Kanku Kabongo

May-08
John Bacon

May-09
Jillian Smith

May-10
Emily Welch

May-11
Jessica Golden

May-12
Matthew Crawford

May-13
Jami Dunn

May-14
Brian Nickley

May-15
Troy Panico

May-16
Michael Nickley