In the Fairway with Coach Hill

Spreading His Love for the Game

Laurie Curran - Abington Sports Pictures

Coach Tim Hill instructing his players in 2013.

Meagan McCadden, Contributor

Mr. Hill is both a computer and math applications teacher at Frolio Middle School, and he is the also coach of Abington High’s golf team.  We spoke to him about his passion for golf and coaching the team.

What do you enjoy about golf?

Golf has been with me from my earliest years. It’s the game no one will master. I love trying to make the correct shot at the right time; I love the feeling of hitting a solid shot just like you planned it; I love the courses I play; the camaraderie with fellow players, and the fresh air. I could go on forever. It’s all great.

Why do you coach golf?

I love the sport so much. I want to bring that same love to the students of Abington. There is nothing better than seeing the expression on the face of a player that shoots the best round of his or her life, or that look when a beginner hits their first solid golf shot. I love the feeling of watching the team compete. That never gets old.

Who inspires you in golf?

I was first inspired by Jack Nicklaus. He was such a great player, but an even better person. He acted how everyone is supposed to act, on and off the golf course. Mr. Nicklaus carried  himself with class. He played hard and displayed tremendous sportsmanship. His best asset was his mind; he could out think (his opponents) and will his way to victory.

There is nothing better than seeing the expression on the face of a player that shoots the best round of his or her life, or that look when a beginner hits their first solid golf shot.

— Coach Tim Hill

What are some of your most memorable golf experiences outside of coaching AHS?

I played in high school and at Babson College. I was a walking scorer at the Deutsche Bank Championship for 10 years. And I was a caddy on the LPGA Symetra tour last two years.

Describe your coaching style.

I am loose yet always mindful of poor behavior on the course. I am willing to instruct on any aspect of the game if the player wishes it. And, I look to laugh, but also compete at our highest level.

What are you looking forward to next season?

Last season, we graduated seven seniors. Next year’s team will bring a new, young group of players. I always look forward to teaching new players skills, golf etiquette and rules.

What other sports have you been involved with and played?

I have played just about every sport imaginable. But, as far as organized sports go, I played hockey, football, basketball and baseball.

Would you rather play to win or play to have fun?

Both. Winning is usually fun; competing is fun, and playing to horse around is fun too.

What is your ideal golf player on a high school team?

Someone who loves the game, works hard and cares about getting better, that knows the rules and plays by them – an honest gentleman or lady that enjoys the moment they have in high school. He or she helps his partner or opponent during play, maintains solid grades, and brings a great attitude to everything they do.