Movie Review: “Split”

Unsettling Thriller from M. Knight Shyamalan

Movie+Poster
Movie Poster

Movie Poster

Universal Pictures

Universal Pictures

Movie Poster

Caitlin Walton, Staff Writer

Adding to his long list of popular thriller movies, director M. Night Shyamalan gives us “Split.” From the director who produced movies such as “The Visit” and “The Sixth Sense,” “Split” is another horror/thriller movie with a unique plot line. With a budget of only $9 million, this hot thriller promises to make some cool cash, already topping $170 million at the box office.  “Split” portrays a strange yet engrossing story of a man with a multiple personality disorder, and the three teenage girls that he abducts.

Did you see "Split? What did you think of it?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

“Split” tells the story of a man named Kevin Wendell Crumb (played by James McAvoy), who has 23 different personalities. Mainly focusing on four personalities named Dennis, Hedwig, Barry and Patricia, the plot line focuses on the his 24th personality is about to be unleashed. And, it is some kind of inhuman being.

Kevin’s different personalities abduct three teenage girls, Casey (played by Anya Taylor-Joy), Haley (played by Claire Benoit), and Marcia (played by Jessica Sula). Throughout the movie, the three girls have to try to escape before the next personality is unleashed, as it is established early on that they are going to be fed to it.

There is also an unsettling subplot that goes through Casey’s childhood life, which didn’t really seem necessary to add into the movie, but it explained her character more, if anything. Trying to understand Kevin and his different personalities is his therapist Dr. Fletcher (played by Betty Buckley). Dr. Fletcher is the one who eventually discovers the plans of Kevin’s personalities, and she becomes crucial to the survival of the girls.

Movieclips Trailers

The movie overall not was not terrible, but there were some odd moments that were a little weird to watch. The beginning and the middle were extremely good, with suspenseful buildups that lead up to even more suspenseful moments. Towards the end, however, the plot line got a little bit unrealistic, and there were some moments where there was supposed to be “comic relief,” but it felt odd to laugh at a movie with such a dark plot. Casey’s backstory was also somewhat uncomfortable to watch, but it did not take too much away from the parts of the movie that were watchable. There were also some sounds that some people might cringe, or even cover their ears at, but there weren’t too many of them that they made the movie unwatchable. Besides the weird ending, the movie was rather enjoyable, especially for audiences that like in depth thrillers.

1 Comment

One Response to “Movie Review: “Split””

1. Julian Boyance on May 2nd, 2017 10:10 am

Just watched it last night. Solid work in your review. Tighten speaking around moments without revealing too much. I think what Casey’s back story does add is the trauma she has experienced compared to the other two girls (reinforced at the end) and her survival abilities.

One of the most compelling aspects of the film is Dr. Fletcher and the Disassociative Identity Disorder discourse in the film.

Wish you well.

[Reply]

• Movie Review: “Split”

Arts and Entertainment

Rising Artist Dua Lipa takes the Industry by Storm 

• Movie Review: “Split”

Clubs and Entertainment

Exemplary Standards

• Movie Review: “Split”

Arts and Entertainment

A New Home for Abington High School Drama

• Movie Review: “Split”

Arts and Entertainment

New Album, New Reputation 

• Movie Review: “Split”

Green Wave Sports

Waves Roll Over the Whalers

• Movie Review: “Split”

Arts and Entertainment

An Alluring Song

• Movie Review: “Split”

Arts and Entertainment

Pursue What You Love to Do!

• Movie Review: “Split”

Arts and Entertainment

A Million Reasons to Listen to A Million Ways

• Movie Review: “Split”

Arts and Entertainment

Spicy “Sriracha”

• Movie Review: “Split”

Arts and Entertainment

Rising Into the Spotlight

Movie Review: “Split”