Teens Relate to “Anonymous” and “Box”

Two One-Act-Plays Presented by the Drama Club

Back to Article
Back to Article

Teens Relate to “Anonymous” and “Box”

Leah Alessi, Andrew Kulikowski, Shayla Young, Lindsey Collins, Erick Atenga, Laurel Blanchard and Lisa Pinto rehearse a scene from

Leah Alessi, Andrew Kulikowski, Shayla Young, Lindsey Collins, Erick Atenga, Laurel Blanchard and Lisa Pinto rehearse a scene from "Box."

Corinne Mason

Corinne Mason

Corinne Mason

Morgan MacNeil-Berry, Staff Writer

On November 3 and 4, in the Paul K. Smith Music Room, the Drama Club presented “Box” and “Anonymous,” two one-act plays featuring about 22 student actors directed by Ms. Corinne M. Mason and produced by Drama Adviser Mr. Steve Shannon. Both plays portray feelings and struggles relatable to any high school teenager.  

“Anonymous,” written by an anonymous writer, is a story about every teenager, and was presented first. It portrays a new kid who tries to fit in while rumors are spread about her past. We see the best friends, the hopeless crushes, the kids that try to keep their secrets hidden, and the ones who just try to fit in.

(“Box”) tells how these teens break away from their narrow and confining labels.”

— Morgan MacNeil-Berry

The characters do not have names; referring to themselves and each other by their pronouns instead. It is evident throughout the wonderful performance that they lack names because they are everyone. They show how everyone can feel, not only in high school, but anywhere in life.  

Grace Waterman (‘20) and Gustavo Dalla Bona (‘18), play the lead characters Me and You respectively. Both actors along with She and Her played respectively by Laurel Blanchard (‘18) and Lindsey Collins (‘17), tell the story of two friends who meet and help one another through the difficulties of high school.  

Laurel Blanchard and Leah Alessi two of the featured actors appearing in "Anonymous" and "The Box."

Laurel Blanchard and Leah Alessi (Colleen Blanchard Photo)

After intermission, the cast presented “Box,” a vignette play written by Lindsay Price that depicts how we all carry and deal with our boxes, or labels, in life. The amazing cast tells the stories of teenagers who hide boxes that were chosen for them either by their parents, peers, their gender, race and many other circumstances. “Box” tells how these teens break away from their narrow and confining labels, and figure out who they truly are.  

Leah Alessi (’17), Collins, Eileen Feeney (’17) and Erick Atanga (’17) played characters Eleven, Three, Five and Eight. They showed that reputation, and who others want you to be, does not matter. What matters most is being who you want to be.  

Overall, the Drama Club wowed us once again. These plays hit the hearts of many in the audience. The entire cast beautifully portrayed these relatable characters and made us feel something. As people departed, you could hear them commenting how powerful and amazing they thought the performance was. It was truly incredible, making for an enjoyable and emotional night.  

About the Writer
Morgan MacNeil-Berry, Copy Editor

Morgan is a member of the Class of 2018. After writing an article about peanut allergies as a contributor during her freshman year, she joined the Green...