Justin Bieber Is All Grown Up …

… and appealing to a broader audience

Justin Bieber performs in concert at the Colonial Life Arena in Columbia, South Carolina, Monday, August 5, 2013. (Tim Dominick/The State/MCT)

Morgan MacNeil-Berry, Staff Writer

On November 13, Justin Bieber released his seventh number one album “Purpose.” This album is particularly personal to Bieber whose songs depict the trials and tribulations of his relationships. While many of his older albums included bubblegum pop songs geared more toward middle school and high school age girls, Bieber’s new album has been attracting new audiences. His old fans (‘Beliebers”) are still listening, but older fans and men have also been listening to “Purpose.” This new demographic may have started listening to the new album because it is more mature and relatable to those who have had rocky relationships.

While keeping his usual catchy beats, Bieber has written beautiful and meaningful lyrics to accompany them.

— Morgan MacNeil-Berry

While keeping his usual catchy beats, Bieber has written beautiful and meaningful lyrics to accompany them. One song in particular has reached out to people of all ages. “Love Yourself,” which is currently number one on iTunes, speaks of how you should learn to love yourself before you try to love anyone else. Almost everyone who listens to it can relate in one way or another.

The album also includes a variety of  types of songs. “Love Yourself” is acoustic and very intimate, while “Sorry” and “What Do You Mean?” have a more electronic and dance sound to them while building a message about love. Throughout his music career Bieber has had beautiful vocals, but listening to this album and his smooth voice will give you chills. A favorite is “Life is Worth Living,” which tells people to take chances and live a full and happy life. Not only is the message beautiful, but the soft and sweet ballad can make you happy by itself.

“Purpose” is an album that has something for everyone.  It is available on iTunes and Spotify. Bieber’s Purpose World Tour will be stops in Boston on May 10 at TD Garden.