1D Delivers Despite Drizzle

Group Returns as a Foursome

The boys sharing a group hug after singing happy birthday to Niall with the crowd.

(Staff Photo by Allison Dennehy)

(Staff Photo by Allison Dennehy)

Allison Dennehy, Staff Writer

One year later with one fewer member (Zayn Malik), One Direction packed the nearly 67,000 seat Gillette Stadium on Saturday, September 12. The boys (Louis Tomlinson, Niall Horan, Liam Payne, and Harry Styles) had the audience on their feet for a full two hours during their last show on the Honda Civic North American leg of their On the Road Again Tour. The band put together a set list that had the audience go from crying to screaming in a matter of seconds. The band performed “18,” a ballad off their album Four written by Ed Sheeran, a close friend of Styles. The song brought the audience to tears as the boys stood still on stage with mics in hand.  The crowd favorite was “No Control.” One Direction’s fans started a “project” to make this their third single from Four. The project worked and Payne made sure to thank the audience for their participation.

The boys had the audience on their feet for a full two hours.”

— Allison Dennehy

The Gillette show marked the end of the group’s U.S. shows for this tour.  Styles took the opportunity to express the groups appreciation for their fans. “On behalf of me and all the boys, thank you so much for every single thing; every single one of you that’s in here tonight; thank you for everything you’ve done for us,” said Styles. Horan’s birthday was September 13, meaning the show at Gillette was his “birthday show” according to Payne. The crowd sang happy birthday to their idol, who was turning 22.  Despite periodic rain showers, One Direction kept the energy level up. The show consisted of four guys simply goofing off with each other for the entire evening. Whether it was Styles throwing water on the fans, or Payne putting on a banana hooded sweatshirt, they made sure the audience was always laughing.

As to what to expect from the band in the coming months, Payne said they filmed their next music video just two days prior to the show. And, they will be releasing a new album in the coming months. However, after they finish the European leg of the On The Road Again Tour, the band will be take a break from the spotlight. For more information on One Direction, their tour dates, and merchandise visit onemusicdirection.com