Rachel’s Challenge Comes to AHS

Will it start a “chain reaction?”

Students sign the Rachel’s Challenge Banner Feb 28, 2015

Xavier Curney, Contributor

On Wednesday, February 28 all the students at Abington High School saw a presentation that left some students and teachers in tears. Yolanda, a program presenter from Rachel’s Challenge, explained to us what happened to a high school girl who wanted nothing more than to help others. She wanted people to pass on this act of kindness, thus starting a “chain reaction.”

Rachel Joy Scott’s ideas were brought to light after America’s most tragic school shooting; which resulted in the deaths of 12 students and one teacher, including Rachel, and wounded more than 20 other students and faculty. This tragedy occurred at Columbine High School in Colorado on April 20, 1999. The purpose of Rachel’s Challenge is to “carry on” Rachel’s dream.

Rachel challenged everyone to reach out to those who they normally wouldn’t interact with.

— Xavier Curney

Being kind to others was the first of Rachel’s four challenges. Her next challenge was to dream big. Students were encouraged to write down their goals and even keep a daily log of events that happened to them. The student body and faculty were also challenged to become better influences. Her last challenge was to speak with kindness, and to always keep in mind that “words can hurt or heal.”

The most impressive part wasn’t what Rachel had tried teaching others, but that she actually took the challenge herself. Rachel challenged everyone to reach out to those who they normally wouldn’t interact with. Special needs students and new students were highlighted as people who really needed kindness and help.

Yolanda shared an event from Rachel’s life in which she reached out to a new girl at her school who was sitting by herself in the lunchroom. The new girl told Rachel she was fine, and  then went back to eating. Rachel didn’t believe her, so she sat down beside her anyway, and they ate lunch together. No one knew the girl’s mother had recently passed away and was in need of comforting.

Rachel also stood up for people being bullied. Rachel had once aided someone being bullied by telling his harassers to back off. For the two years he had been in high school, this student had been picked on every day. He thought that no one cared about him, and had previously decided to take his own life that day, but this changed after Rachel’s small act of kindness.

When questioning Larry Jarrins (Class of 2018) about the presentation and Rachel’s Challenge, he said that “it was really good, and that if more people heard about this, there would be less bullying.” When asked how this will affect his daily life he said, “I will be kinder to people and accept new friends to my group.”  Jasmine Strangis (Class of 2018) said she will start a “chain reaction,” but that she “will start out small” with her family. Rachel’s Challenge is a powerful program that seems to deeply affect the students that experience it.