Driven From Distraction

Video Simulation Helps Deter Distracted Driving

Abby Gendreau, Staff Writer

In February, AHS students that had recently obtained their license or learner’s permit, were given the opportunity to try Arbella Insurance Foundation’s Distractology 101 program, a video driving simulator inside a mobile trailer, that shows how easy it is to become distracted while driving. We saw just what can happen and learned how we to drive more safely.

It is scary to think that taking your eyes off the road for just one second can kill, but it really does happen that fast.

— Abby Gendreau

Distractology 101 is much like a driving game at the arcade, but it is educational.  After every crash, a video played to show you the mistake you made, and how to avoid it.  That night there was a second part.  On your home computer you could enter a code and take a mini test to show that you understood what you learned during the stimulation.  It was good reinforcement;  much like homework, it made sure the lesson was fully comprehensive.

I was lucky enough to try this program out.  I crashed every time.  If I used my phone to text, the crashes happened almost instantly.  It really showed me how fast accidents can happen.  It is scary to think that taking your eyes off the road for just one second can kill, but it really does happen that fast.

I also learned a lot about blind hazards.  I never realized how much can be blocked off when I’m driving, especially with the large amounts of snow we are dealing with right now in Massachusetts. Overall, the Distractology 101 program has made me more aware of potential hazards and dangers while driving, and has resulted in me becoming a more cautious driver.

The Abington Police Department and the Harrington Insurance Agency hosted the program. For more information, visit the Distractology 101 web page at www.distractu.com.